1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paul Di'Anno

Discussion in 'Solo/Side Project Discussion' started by Anonymous, Mar 13, 2006.

1. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

But, can you feel the thorn if you never stand?

Forostar, Mosh and MrKnickerbocker like this.
  2. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

3. MrKnickerbocker

These are some very in-depth, very accurate descriptions of the hidden personalities behind the voices of these guys. In general, Paul has always had a darker, harsher tone than anyone else to come through Maiden. Boiling down your analysis to single sentences, I think the picturesque scope of each Maiden vocalist's tone looks something like this:

Paul - Rundown streets and alleyways with an inward focus on gritty feelings and the inevitable chip that may never leave your burdened shoulders.

Blaze - How the pitch black night skies and the stars that lie beyond affect the greater human mind, heart, and soul.

Bruce - Witness the power of rundown streets, alleys, dark skies, burning stars, dark magick, and...hey, why are we taking things so seriously instead of having a beer?

fekso and Forostar like this.
  4. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Cheers! Although the descriptions were not only intended to be about the voices, rather the albums (the "total package"). But certainly the voices could be seen as that as well.

5. MrKnickerbocker

I gathered that, but your post got me thinking and I believe your descriptions extend beyond those albums. We're dealing with vocalists who (regardless of one's opinion on quality) bring very specific moods and sounds to every album they record. I think their voices conjure up similar descriptions on every album.

Forostar likes this.
  6. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Vocals are really no different than any other instrument. Rock is littered with guitar players who are technically proficient, but have no "soul" or "feeling" in their playing and sloppier players who have a certain "something" that works for the type of music they are playing and brings life to the songs. Same with vocalists ...

Paul was never an up and down the scales kind of guy, but he had that "something" that fit perfectly on the first 2 Maiden albums and at least occasionally popped up on his non Maiden stuff, the main problem with some of his non Maiden stuff, like Battlezone is that the songs did not really fit his voice.

TheTalisman likes this.
  7. MrKnickerbocker

Agreed. @Forostar's got me listening to Murder One, however, and it suits his voice perfectly. Pretty solid stuff (for the most part).

8. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

That is really the problem with his solo stuff, there are some good songs there .. but you have to wade through a lot of crap as well .. especially the "I want to be an 80s pop-hard rock star" songs.

9. TheTalisman

TheTalisman Fågel

So in other words you like everything except the covers.

10. Forostar

I still like the covers, just not too special. The real strength is in the self written songs.

11. Legatodave

Legatodave Nomad

I think paul has just gone down hill ever since he started sitting down all the time at shows.

12. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

I think he went down hill then started sitting down, Legatodave.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Okay, Foro, I'm genuinely curious as to why you rate this so highly? Maybe you don't. I mean, on first listen, it's good. The guitar work is bluesy-rock & is pretty sweet; there are lots (& lots!) of tasty solos. Paul's also sounding really good; altho' do I sense a little faux-American twang to his singing-accent? Dunno, but it's as good as I've ever heard him. But the lyrics; hell, they're profoundly unprofound. They're cheesy with a capital C. I'm unclear how you can read so much into the man's music and ignore the obvious shallowness of the cliché-ridden rock-standard lyrics. Paul has nothing original to say here; if he has anything to say at all. It's fun, don't get me wrong. And it's good too; better than average by some distance. Do you rate it higher or, like much music, are you also just disappointed at how little acknowledgement this album gets?
    I can't comment on Blaze (haven't heard anything really of his own material), but I agree with Perun here; it's not really up there with Brucie's later solo albums. Different music I suppose...

... in fact, as I near the end of this first listening, I'm beginning to think Paul's lyrics are most definitely the worst thing on this album. I'm smirking listening to them. I'd probably think this was the best thing I'd ever heard after a few pints...

... or maybe six.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  14. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I haven't heard any solo albums by Maiden members that even come close to Bruce's best work, Blaze included. Blaze's first two albums and the live album are really good though.

15. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

I have to say, I find Adrian's PRR (Mikee Goodman's slightly odd vocal style aside) pretty damn good too. Brucie's best aren't without fault, but they're very, very good. He really shines as a vocalist and songwriting lyricist on those later solo albums. Add Roy's guitar playing, guitar writing, and the production; and they're pure quality. Having said this, they are firmly in the Heavy Metal category; Murder One has at least one foot in Hard Rock. My taste is very much the former, which is perhaps why I'm saying it's "fun" etc.

EDIT:
    The "Live Rehearsal Recordings" are fucking rocking though!

16. mckindog

mckindog Living for Sanctuary from the law Staff Member

Listening to the first minute of Murder One.
    I can't believe anyone has mentioned what a Ram It Down ripoff the first song is.
    Brutally obvious.

17. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

The innuendo in both track names is... something.

18. Forostar

I thought of it as well. Although, only the verses.

19. MrKnickerbocker

I listened to the whole album on Foro's recommendation, and I found it quite good. The music is very solid, sometimes awesome, and Paul sounds amazing. I was very pleasantly surprised with the album as whole. However, I've got to agree with Cried, the lyrics are mostly garbage.

CriedWhenBrucieLeft likes this.
  20. Forostar

Playback with Paul: