Paul Di'Anno reworked Running Free

Yea....

That was the first thing by Paul I heard outside of Maiden, and that'll be the last too. :S

Yea....

That was the first thing by Paul I heard outside of Maiden, and that'll be the last too. :S

Big mistake.

I really can recommend the album: Killers - Murder One from 1992. This is really by far his best effort, outside Maiden. Back in those days he worked with a good band (Killers), and Murder One is full of well written quality songs with nice guitar work. A bit of Judas Priest kind of metal (still different), really good!

Which makes sense. When Paul was doing Maiden, he was in a more Judas Priest-sounding style of band.

Well, there's an interesting comparison of my two favourite bands. I see quite some differences but who knows Maiden might have learned something from the Priest indeed! (they thanked Priest -and two other bands- on the NOTB-album sleeve)

Well, there's an interesting comparison of my two favourite bands. I see quite some differences but who knows Maiden might have learned something from the Priest indeed! (they thanked Priest -and two other bands- on the NOTB-album sleeve)

It was because they opened for Priest on their British Steel tour, I believe. They thanked them for their support.

Yea....

Don't worry, the bulk of Paul's post-Maiden material is more of classic heavy metal. It doesn't have anything to do with the sort of music Paul is trying out here. Murder One is a minor heavy metal classic.

I actually kind of liked this cover. It is well-excecuted and the arrangement is quite interesting (and I think those King Diamond-esque screams at the end are a nice touch). It's the closest thing to having new material without actually having new material... which is what always bugs me about Paul. When he's not busy slamming Maiden, he does the umpteenth rendition of any given song from Iron Maiden or Killers. Seriously, this has to be his twentieth recording of Running Free outside Maiden. Why not write some new songs for a change?

Back