Paul/Bruce period songs that Blaze did well/better

All you Blaze haters would do well to remember that if Blaze hadn't been there holding the fort then there would very probably not have been a band left for Bruce and Adrian to return to
I just don't think this is true, sorry. Steve would have found someone else, if Blaze hadn't been there. Nobody "hates" Blaze, the guy. They hate (apparently) his singing.

Blaze fell into the band at an unfortunate time. His vocals are not a perfect fit for Maiden, the band did not shift their sound to accommodate his vocal style, and, let's face it: other than a few amazing songs, the songwriting on the Blaze albums is incredibly mediocre (at best).

I don't have anything against Blaze, I respect him for filling some huge shoes and rising to the challenge. That takes a lot of guts.

That doesn't make his performances of old songs any better, however. He didn't even come close to touching Bruce's versions of those songs. The same could be said for Bruce and a lot of Paul songs.

I really love Blaze's rendition of Heaven Can Wait; I think that song is really suited to his voice. I'd love to hear him sing Strange World, that would be perfection. There are some Blaze songs I can't imagine anyone else doing, like Como Estais Amigos and pretty much everything else on TXF outside of SOTC.

On the flipside, I think Bruce's version of The Clansman at Rock in Rio 2001 is unbelievably powerful, along with Sign of the Cross, and Blaze can't even compare.

Even though I can't think of any song from Paul or Bruce that he does better, I still respect his efforts in keeping the band alive when Bruce left before. He still has a ton of great stuff in his own right at least.

I just don't think this is true, sorry. Steve would have found someone else, if Blaze hadn't been there. Nobody "hates" Blaze, the guy. They hate (apparently) his singing.
Yes, Steve would have got someone else. And whoever it was would have probably got the same criticism, which seems to amount to "he wasn't Bruce". Which is obviously true, but hardly his fault.

I loved the way Blaze introduced 2 Minutes To Midnight: "From the Powerslave album. What is the time? 2 Minutes To Midnight!" The performance itself was good. Fear of the Dark and Hallowed By Thy Name suited the darker voice. Heaven Can Wait from Gothenburg 1995 is my favorite version of the song! Afraid To Shoot Strangers from Best of the Beast is a classic by now.

I loved the way Blaze introduced 2 Minutes To Midnight: "From the Powerslave album. What is the time? 2 Minutes To Midnight!"
I think Bruce even stole that one when he came back.

Back