Paul/Bruce period songs that Blaze did well/better

Wally Swift

Invader
I really like Blaze's vocals on Heaven Can Wait and Iron Maiden [I've been listening to boots]!

Any other Paul/Bruce period songs that Blaze did well/better?

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is the main one that comes to mind ... I thought he did a good job on it. The rest ... not so much.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is the main one that comes to mind ... I thought he did a good job on it. The rest ... not so much.

I'm just waiting for Foro to come and voice his opinion on just that ... :innocent: I like that ATSS version, although Blaze sounds flat on a couple of notes. I'm not really a fan of Bruce's vocal style from the FOTD period, but I'd love to hear ATSS now with Bruce's post-1999 voice (which I like much better than his 1990-93 voice/style).

This is one of my favorite versions of Wrathchild. I know the second one is a short version, but listen to him holding that note! Dark lyrics suits Bayleys voice and therefore I've always liked his singing on Hallowed By Thy Name.

My general impression is that Blaze's best song was Heaven Can Wait. The really spooky thing is that on the studio version on Somewhere In Time Bruce sounds just like Blaze (who wasn't there yet) when he sings it. At least I think he does.

Blaze sounds good on AFTSS and that Hallowed Be Thy Name clip is interesting, though I don't think anyone could do that song better than Bruce.

As for Wrathchild, it sounds awesome (in that it sounds like Paul). It makes me think that Maiden should've continued writing songs in the vein of NPFTD and FOTD for the Blaze albums, instead of going dark, moody, and proggy. The albums would be simpler, upbeat, and probably quite rocking. Also, it's clear those kinds of songs fit Blaze's range better than anything with Bruce.

They should have released an album with Blaze, toured off of it, and then done an Early Days tour with nothing but the first two albums and continued in that vein. I bet we'd all think a little differently about the Blaze era.

I'm just waiting for Foro to come and voice his opinion on just that ... :innocent: I like that REDACTED version, although REDACTED a couple of notes. I'm not really a fan REDACTED).

They played it on their 2012 Maiden England US tour set. Will be seeing them again September 3rd and unless they change the set, they should play it again. It sounded very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing Blaze did was ever anywhere near Bruce or Paul. Like most people, I see Blaze as totally illegitimate.

But, I also don't think Bruce has ever done the Paul songs justice, with the exception of Iron Maiden and perhaps Running Free.

Nothing Blaze did was ever anywhere near Bruce or Paul. Like most people, I see Blaze as totally illegitimate.
"Like many people" is what I think you mean - it is possible that you speak for the majority but I rather think it would be quite hard to prove to any reasonable level of certainty.

All you Blaze haters would do well to remember that if Blaze hadn't been there holding the fort then there would very probably not have been a band left for Bruce and Adrian to return to. As such Blaze had his part in the fact that Brave New World was ever made, and I am grateful.

Last edited:
Back