Out of the Shadows

How good is Out of the Shadows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
3/10 and steals the chord progression from COTD.
I just played the two songs back to back and I am very, very, very curious how you came to that conclusion. I've double-checked on some tabs websites, which I know aren't the best, and I can't see the same progression anywhere. In addition, considering Mr. Harris wrote both songs, how can one say "stealing". We can say Steve stole lines from another band, sure, but I don't see you ranking Hallowed lower because of it.

And even if it did, Maiden recycles chord progressions a ton. What makes this song special?

A cross between revelations and cotd only less impressive than any of them.Solid song nevertheless.

A powerful and emotional song. A little overlooked, at least by me, but a fantastic song nevertheless.

Bruce really sings his heart out on this one, the melodies are great and I like the lyrics (one of the reasons why I prefer this to coming home).
This song fits really well on the record. It's a great contrast to the darker and angrier songs on the record.
The guitar work is great, I like the licks on the choruses, and the unexpected break after the third chorus.

8/10

I just played the two songs back to back and I am very, very, very curious how you came to that conclusion. I've double-checked on some tabs websites, which I know aren't the best, and I can't see the same progression anywhere. In addition, considering Mr. Harris wrote both songs, how can one say "stealing". We can say Steve stole lines from another band, sure, but I don't see you ranking Hallowed lower because of it.

I am quite sure Steve wrote the chorus melody,the rest is pretty much Bruce

Weakest point on the album for me. I think they were ploughing the same musical furrow when they wrote Coming Home on the next album (the clean arpeggiated verses again are pure Bruce), but for me Coming Home was way more successful.

Though it's the weakest of AMOLAD and a partial rehash of Wasting Love, I still can't bring myself to award it anything less than a 7/10.

After the onslaught of some of the heaviest Maiden songs ever, this is a much needed breather. I like the combination of distorted guitars with acoustic guitars, a texture that we don't hear very often in Maiden. Maiden tried experimenting with that sound again on The Final Frontier, but it didn't work out quite as well. I saw this song as a spiritual successor to Journeyman. They were taking the acoustic approach of that song and giving it a heavier edge. Another really interesting instrumental section, starting with a great Adrian solo and going into something a bit different for Maiden. We start with a recap of the song's intro on acoustic guitar, but slowly more guitars join and build into a wall of sound interlude. Great little ballad.

I would also like to stress how beautiful and how subtle those Davey's solos/"embellishments" are; at times he reminds me of Knopfler there.

A beautiful little song. Always makes me feel a little better, even if it's not technically as good as most songs on the album. 7/10.

This is an underrated gem. It's perfectly placed on the album to.give a bit of mellowness after the previous two hard hitters. Dave is absolutely magic on this, particularly those pre chorus licks which remind me a bit of No Prayer For The Dying. Bruce's vocal is gorgeous. I wouldn't describe it as a ballad as such but I suppose it has that feel and I'm a sucker for an occasional power ballad!

Such a beautiful song. Bruce takes us through life in five minutes and describes both the sadness and beauty of it. Dave is surprisingly uneven on this album, but he shines on this track. Adrian delivers another perfect solo, what a man.

9/10

8/10

Out of the Shadows veers towards power ballad territory. The band busts out the acoustics here and the song sounds a bit like a combination of the quieter parts of Revelations and Wasting Love. Dave plays a delicious bluesy lead throughout the song though the main solo goes to Adrian, who turns in a very tasteful, melodic piece. Bruce sounds fabulous belting it out within a song perfectly in his vocal sweet spot. The acoustics drive the last two minutes in a different direction and give Steve a chance to let loose with some bass leads. Plus, I’m a sucker for a Bruce blues wail, so I love the ending.

Back