Out of the Shadows

How good is Out of the Shadows on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Out of the Shadows

"Dreams of the past as the old ways are done." The first time I heard this, I thought it was "Dreams of the past as the earth weighs a ton." Which I actually like a bit better.

Regardless, I think this song is a 10/10 the same way I think most of AMOLAD is a 10 - it creates a perfect atmosphere that is continuous and permeates each song (even ones I don't like, which on this album is only the Legacy). This song continues that plodding atmosphere, is a very nice extension of Longest Day (another 10 in my book), and really is a good bridge to TRBB (a solid 9). I also think that this is a good example of a slow Maiden song that really works... there have been a few misses in that genre.

Since the daily song has been AMOLAD recently, might as well just put them all up here - Different World/Colours Don't Run/Thousand Suns/Pilgrim/Longest Day/Out of the Shadows - all 10s (i mistakenly voted Colours a 9, am revising in light of the holistic approach!), TRBB and FTGGOG - 9s, Legacy - 3 or 4 (I really canNOT get into that song!). What an album.

The brilliance of this song has recently been trumped by Coming Home but it still sits comfortably amongst the majestic songs that make up AMOLAD. I love AMOLAD like a close family member, but my one disappointment is the low number of (and seemingly shorter) solos when compared to DoD/SiT/SSoaSS/TFF. However, in Out of the Shadows Davey improvises to his hearts content in the way Adrian will later do in Starblind.

NightProwler666 said:
IMO it's Coming Home's older brother song, although Coming Home is a better song. 9/10.

I beg to differ. I prefer 'Out Of The Shadows' to 'Coming Home'. The former has a better vocal melody in my view (8/10).

And solos! Still not sure what to rank this.

A nice song, but for some reason I tend to prefer this type of song when Bruce does it solo. Well-crafted, with a good melody and emotional vocal performance but it fails to completely grab me. Seven

mckindog said:
A nice song, but for some reason I tend to prefer this type of song when Bruce does it solo. Well-crafted, with a good melody and emotional vocal performance but it fails to completely grab me. Seven

That's exactly how I feel about it. I could give a 9 or 10 for every good song (this is a good song!) but I realize that there are many others which grab me much more.

I like the subject matter but the song itself is merely OK - in my opinion. Power ballads like this don't really rock my boat, I'm afraid. 6/10

Great chorus, great lyrics, great solo, great vocals, whats not to like? 10/10. Another fantastic song from a fantastic album.

8/10 from me.  Out of the Shadows is a good slower type song and is one of Maiden's better ballads.  I slightly prefer it to Coming Home because I think OOTS has better solos and more interesting bass playing.  I also thought this was a highlight of the live show as well. 

9/10. Great song...I get a bit of a retro vibe from it, although not retro Maiden. Cool lyrical content, and Bruce, as he is on this whole album, is superb. I've never considered this one a power ballad, but in my mind Maiden's only real example of that is Wasting Love. Most "power ballads" drive me to projectile vomiting...

taker64 said:
9/10. Great song...I get a bit of a retro vibe from it, although not retro Maiden. Cool lyrical content, and Bruce, as he is on this whole album, is superb. I've never considered this one a power ballad, but in my mind Maiden's only real example of that is Wasting Love. Most "power ballads" drive me to projectile vomiting...
:lol:  :ok:

Yep, I agree, this isn't a power ballad, just a slower, angst-driven song.

Good song. I like the acoustic guitar with the electric and the solos and middle section. 8/10

A beautiful song, it's got Dave and Bruce at their very best. You can just close your eyes and sink into the depths of it. 10/10.

9. This is the kind of song that suits the vibe and mood of these recording sessions. The song is soft, but powerful, wonderful poetical view of newbirth by Bruce, Adrian's solo is very haunting and touching, the 'Jethro Tully' break in the middle, courtesy of 'Arry', and it's incredible melody are enough to make you think about life for a moment. Fantastic!

Love the guitar work on this song, a fairly slow song but lots drive, it always puts me in mind of Wasting Love... Anyways 8/10.

I was never too fond of this track. On the other hand, i can't escape the feeling that a lot of work has been put into it, and it's really beautiful. A lot of people mention great guitar work, and i also think the same. It just doesn't leave a great impression after listen. I'd give it a 7, but it's closer to 8 due to it's quality. Hence, 8.

Back