Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Well it sucks FOR ME cause I don't like progressive rock. I wouldn't like it even if it was released by some other band. The fact that it's not metal is not the problem for me, the fact that it's progressive rock is. Also, I'm fine with the absence of growling. I think that they shouldn't reintroduce growls, cause Mikael can't growl (good) anymore. The Devil's Orchard is cool, Slither is cool on the video I posted (cause it sounds heavier than the studio version), and that's it.

Opeth is one of the few hard rock bands for which the term "genius" comes to mind. I don't always love everything they do -- I despise growly vocals, which the early part of Opeth's career mostly featured, and some parts of Heritage are indeed a bit drowsy -- but I can't help thinking Akerfeldt is a musical genius. Flash: With all due respect to Night Prowler's list, it misses arguably their best album of all. Try Ghost Reveries to start. It's awe-inspiring.

Ghost Reveries is definitely a good one, and a grower, the more I listen to it the more I like it. Hell, not one album of theirs I dislike to be honest.

I see where you're coming from NP, makes sense. Too bad you're not a proggy fan, but hey to each their own.

Personally, I think one should never draw his conclusion on a certain album before playing it. If it happens to be in a certain genre, so what. You still can't judge it, without hearing it. There might be a certain melody that could be appealing, there might be a great singer, certain solos.... who knows.

At Night Prowler's age I also was not a prog fan. It was metal, metal, only metol!

I wouldn't be too definite in my conclusion either:
Taste often can broaden when you get older. Later you might be interested in bands Maiden was influenced by. Or even totally different music genres. Could take 10 or 20 years, or more. Who knows. It's not over yet.

Personally, I think one should never draw his conclusion on a certain album before playing it. If it happens to be in a certain genre, so what. You still can't judge it, without hearing it. There might be a certain melody that could be appealing, there might be a great singer, certain solos.... who knows.

At Night Prowler's age I also was not a prog fan. It was metal, metal, only metol!

I wouldn't be too definite in my conclusion either:
Taste often can broaden when you get older. Later you might be interested in bands Maiden was influenced by. Or even totally different music genres. Could take 10 or 20 years, or more. Who knows. It's not over yet.

That's definitely happened to me, I also listen more carefully and things like a certain drum beat or bass line will make a song for me, when in the past all I'd care about was if it had a good vocal melody and killer solo. Lately I purposefully seek "different" whatever that is and whatever genre.

Well I listened to Heritage for the first time today and I loved it. What an amazing album.

And with that I've completed my task of listening to all Opeth records. Only album that I went "meh" listening to was Deliverance, the rest was very good/amazing.

My Opeth album rankings:
1. Still Life
2. Blackwater Park
3. Damnation
4. Watershed
5. Ghost Reveries
6. Deliverance
7. My Arms, Your Hearse
8. Morningrise
9. Orchid

Why don't you like (or like it less than others) Orchid and Morningrise ? I've seen lots of people who hate those albums, why ?

I like those albums, but they aren't as good as other Opeth albums IMO. There are people here who love those 2 albums, like Forostar :)

I like those albums, but they aren't as good as other Opeth albums IMO. There are people here who love those 2 albums, like Forostar :)

The reason I said that was because I thought they were considered some of the best from them before I got into Opeth. Now that I'm into Opeth, I see people who don't like them as much as I thought they did. (like you)

I know that Mikael hates Morningrise and I'm having trouble understanding why.

I hate Morningrise too. It's boring and is like a rehash of Orchid. Although I do like Orchid. In The Midst She Was Standing is great.

1: Ghost Reveries
2: Still Life
3: Blackwater Park
4: Damnation
5: Watershed
6: Heritage
7: Orchid
8: Deliverance
9: My Arms
10: Morningrise

Bottom 5 switch up a lot.

Just got back from the Opeth concert. One of the best shows I've ever been to, seriously. They were on fire and every song kicked ass. Stuff from Heritage sounded just as metal as everything else on the set because of all the energy. We also got the longest show of the tour, as this was the second night in Colorado, they decided to throw in an extra song during the encore. Mikael had a great personality on stage, told funny stories and such; someone yelled Face Of Melinda in between songs and they started playing it, though they didn't get through the whole thing. Completely awesome concert. Here's the setlist, for those interested: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2013/fox-theatre-boulder-co-6bd9be6a.html

I was going to go last night here in Tucson, but decided to have family time instead. I saw them on their Watershed tour, so it wasn't like I HAD TO see them. Good to hear they did well. Mikael is HILARIOUS live. There's always next tour :)

Oh yea, one of the funniest frontmen. He told stories in between almost every song. He knows an insane amount of bands too, someone would yell out the name of some obscure metal band and he'd have some story about them right off the top of his head.

Deliverance is at least 10 times more intense live than in studio.:edmetal:

Back