1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opeth

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Cornfed Hick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

He's great at harmonies, but Akerfeldt is specifying "people who all have lead singer-type voices." So, let's just hope it's not him. Personally, I think Akerfeldt is too smart to try that. He knows that he's too particular about his music to try and take on Portnoy's ego.

I see their interactions as like that one guy at the party that doesn't understand sarcasm.

PORTNOY: "Hey dude, we totally have to do something together, brotha!"
    MIKAEL: "Oh, yes. We must do that."
    PORTNOY: "Yeah brotha, let's do it! I think that music would be badass!"
    MIKAEL: "Yes, it would certainly be something."
    *Portnoy turns his head to look at shiny things because A.D.D., Mikael vanishes*
    PORTNOY (to himself): "SWEET! I can't wait to make an album with Mikael!"

Later, in interviews...

MIKAEL: "Yes, we've always wanted to do something together, but it just hasn't worked out yet..."
    MIKAEL'S SECRETARY: "Hey, Mikael, both you and Mike Portnoy have January 2015 to April 2015 completely free."
    MIKAEL: "NO! I, uh...I have plans. Vacation. I'm going to a sunny beach. Alone."

2. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Btw. dude from Katatonia (Jonas Renkse) played drums there for a long time.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This does sound like a Metal Transatlantic. Also Portnoy's best vocal work is in Transatlantic. He's used sparingly and the parts they write for him to sing actually fit his voice. It's nothing like what he was doing toward the end of DT. So if he was involved in this I wouldn't have a problem with it. I also don't see him doing tuff guy vocals when Mikael and Townsend are in the band because the only reason he did them in DT was he didn't think JLB's voice was Metal enough.

Edit: All that said I'm 100% sure Portnoy won't be involved.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Portnoy has been involved in so many projects and managed to keep his ego from getting in the way. I think they just haven't found an interesting idea that they can work on together. I imagine Mike wants to do something heavy like Opeth and Mikael is obviously not interested in that.

5. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

I've become addicted to Wreath and By The Pain I See In Others. Reoccuring parts that start at 1:46 in Wreath and 3:32 in By The Pain are incredible. On the whole I don't think these songs are their best, but those moments alone are Top 5.

6. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Barrels of Rum! Black Powder!

I definitely agree that these two songs make the Top 5 on Deliverance.

Mosh likes this.
  7. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Wreath is the best example of Opeth paint by numbers. If Mikael ever tried to write Death Metal again I could imagine it sounding like that. He said it would have to be all brutal too, which Wreath is.

BTPISIO doesn't work for the opposite reasons. They're trying something different but it just doesn't come together. Would still much rather listen to that than Wreath.

8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I really like By the Pain I See in Others. The "rise to submission" riff is sick, and the calm middle part is very nice.

Wreath, I'm not a big fan of. It's the only track on Deliverance that I don't care for.