1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opeth

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Cornfed Hick, Jul 27, 2011.

1. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

According to one commenter there, "he's probably forgotten how to play it anyway because he's been too busy writing nursery rhymes".

:stupid:

MrKnickerbocker likes this.
  2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I don't think it's too much of a stretch. I saw another interview with Mikael where he says that he really loves playing the old songs.

The big setback is length, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. They could do it for a one off.

3. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Play 3 songs from Still Life instead ffs.

4. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Yeah, they did the Ghost Reveries ones as pretty much one-offs. I would love to see this show. Do 3! LA, Chicago, New York!

Detective Beauregard likes this.
  5. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Barrels of Rum! Black Powder!

Omg omg omg please yes I will love them long time if they do that song is classic top 10 Opeth.

6. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

7. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Do you like them? Album/song recommendations? And they're all instrumental, right?

8. Mosh

I like Russian Circles. Not familiar with any individual albums/songs but they're a good all instrumental group.

Scale the Summit is another really good instrumental band. The Migration is their best album.

9. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

They're playing Glasgow in March, I'm considering going & seeing them.

Forostar likes this.
  10. Forostar

Take some hearing protection.

Yes, instrumental.

I'm not that familiar with their discography. They were the opening act for Chelsea Wolfe. I remember a massive sound. Very heavy. The bass grooved (I need to be careful here, since you are into Big Brown Beaver Bassman ;-) ; everyone is probably less impressive for you than him!). Seriously, his bass felt as the leading/guiding instrument. The guitars didn't feature (that much) solos. Just nice sounding stuff. Drummer constantly banged the shit out of his kit.

edit: listening to YouTube, I realize that they have a lot of calm moments as well. The heavy stuff was more memorable for me.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

Guitars, plural? They're a three-piece are they not?
    Are you referring to Claypool? :D

12. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Since you're in the Opeth thread, you should really listen to some Opeth, Cried :p

13. Forostar

Hehe yes. And maybe because he was so loud, he was so impressive. But listening to YouTube I find the guitar work more interesting. And the drummer is important too with his patterns. Sometimes the music feels as black metal (both atmosphere and guitar) with Red Hot Chilli Pepper drums

Indeed, one guitar player.

Yes!

14. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

How about I don't.

15. The Mid-Distance Runner

The Mid-Distance Runner Climb like a lemur!!

Russian Circles are an incredible 3 piece with a massive sound...saw them a couple of years ago. Memorial is the album to go for as an introduction. Headphones on, lie back and enjoy the ride...

Oh, this is an Opeth thread? I saw them last night at the Sydney Opera House. They played for 3 hours, a double set. The second set was dedicated entirely to Deliverance & Damnation.

Great show, bizarre watching a prog death metal gig at the Opera House. A sit down show (except us up in the dress circle), people sitting in the boxes and behind stage as they do for orchestras. We drank champagne instead of beer.

16. The Flash

So, as an illiterate, instinctual, idontknowwhatimdoing bassist of six years, I decided to learn to identify time signatures. Gonna put myself to the test here. Those of you who know how time signatures work, am I correct in these following statements:

The intro to Windowpane is in 6/4
    The outro to Closure is in 9/8
    The intro to Deliverance is in 7/8

17. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

I know that's correct. Very cool signature. Don't know the other songs. :p

18. Mosh

Windowpane is also correct. Closure is straight 4/4 though, how do you get 9/8?

19. The Flash

Don't know. Confused the rhythm pattern with the time signature maybe?

I'll take 2/3 for a first attempt.

20. Detective Beauregard

Detective Beauregard Barrels of Rum! Black Powder!

Windowpane's intro would be written in 6/8, but drum-wise it actually alternates every measure between 6/8 and 3/4. The rest of the song, if I recall correctly, is in 4/4.