Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
So I just gave Haxprocess, Famine, and Lines a listen. I must say that they're better than I remember them, but outside of that delightfully evil riff and the section that surrounds it in Famine, it just doesn't do anything for me. Haxprocess is all over the place, but the full-band verses are great and the ending is bluesy and subtle. Lines is the best song here because it actually has momentum that isn't immediately sucked away by random breaks where everything except the keyboard or guitar stops playing.

I have to be in a very specific mood to enjoy most of this album, and usually I just reach for other Opeth works instead. Devil's Orchard is the clear highlight here because, similar to Lines, it actually flows well. Folklore is another strong track with an unnerving first half and an amazing ending section (bass solo!) that works well as the climax of the album. Nepenthe is wacky, jazzy, and unpredictable, especially with the five-count leading into the psychedelic circus section for a second time.

I Feel the Dark suffers from Heritage-ness by again being too random with its structure, sucking the beat away for big dumb synth sections. Slither is the worst track here by far, and is only saved by the outro. I like the two instrumentals for what they are -- basic and brooding, which fits Opeth. The two bonus tracks -- Pyre and Face in the Snow -- are actually more enjoyable than half of the full album is. Why? Because they are folk-Opeth and never try to be too ambitious with multiple random sections thrown in. I even seem to recall the band playing Pyre on the Heritage tour, which was well deserved.

There's so much jazzy and folksy stuff on that album. You could easily classify Nepenthe and Famine as jazz fusion instead of prog. Lines, first part of Folklore and Marrow of the Earth are pretty much folk rock with a prog twist. Haxprocess and the title track is where these two come together, folk jazz tunes basically. (Latter is inspired by Jan Johansson, a jazz pianist who interpreted Swedish folk songs) Worth noting that Mikael was also doing the Storm Corrosion project with Steven Wilson at the time, which is also a jazz fusion/folk mix.

Devil's Orchard is probably the only full on prog rock song on the album. Slither is more hard rock than anything, very Rainbow-ish. Love the groove on that one.

Devil's Orchard and Folklore are my highlights from the album but there's nothing on there that I don't enjoy listening. Lines in the Sand is my least favorite track probably.

Last edited:
I find it weird how Mikael and Steven Wilson never appeared on stage together despite recording an album together and appearing on each other's releases.

Interesting cover btw:

Still haven't listened to the new album... The title track made me very interested but some other songs discouraged me big time. Maybe one day I'll come around. :p

I listened to it a handful of times, thought it was decent (probably their best post-growl effort), and then went back to Blackwater Park, Morningrise, and Still Life and have no desire to go back.

Opeth is playing Red Rocks with Gojira May 11th! Red Rocks is one of the coolest venues in the world, this is the most excited I've ever been for a non Maiden show.

Here's hoping that is part of another tour and not just a one-off show. I don't know anything about Gojira, but the prospect of seeing Opeth again in 6 months is rather exciting.

I like what I've heard of Gojira, will use this an opportunity to explore them further.

Would rather them not be on the bill though, as it is likely going to be just 70 minute sets each. Hoping for 90 though.

I love it when you get two bands you really want to see at one show. Most of the time it's one you want to see, one you're not interested in and another that you're sort of okay with but not excited about.

I actually like the coheadline format best when it's two bands I like but never been interested enough to see them live. Gives me more incentive to go and I prefer the shorter sets in those cases.

With this one it's Opeth I want to see and Gojira I'm sort of okay with but not excited about. I do like them though and I'll be listening to them a lot to prepare myself for the show.

Official site now has N.A. dates listed for early May w/ Gojira in conjunction with Red Rocks gig:

http://opeth.com/tour-dates

5/6 - Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
5/7 - Starland Ballroom - Sayreville, NJ
5/9 - Vic Theatre - Chicago, IL
5/11 - Red Rocks
5/12 - Arvest Bank Theatre - Kansas City, MO
5/13 - Egyptian Room - Indianapolis, IN

Seems like a very odd schedule to play East Coast, then Chicago, then truck out to Red Rocks only to be back in Missouri the next day...but I'll take it! @Detective Beauregard

I hope this gradually announcing tour dates thing doesn't become a norm for bands. Just announce the whole thing at once :mad:

Well, it seems to be impossible these days. They have to post it on so many sites. My notification came from Songkick, for example. They haven't even made an official announcement.

New SOEN (with Lopez) track.

soenband2016sfivepiece_638.jpg

Sounds like a cross between Opeth and Tool. Especially the singer's voice, pretty much right in between Mikael Akerfeldt and Maynard James Keenan.

Quality of the voice is actually pleasant, and I definitely hear the Akerfeldt/Keenan comparisons, but I find the melodies both too simplistic in note choice and too busy for the song. The chorus is definitely solid, though. Decent song. I'm not a big Tool fan, however, so this style doesn't do too much for me.

Back