Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
We already knew about Mikael being ill during MAYH.

Deliverance is a great album, his disdain for the grueling recording process isn't reflected on the music, thankfully.

The entire album (even the good/great songs) sound like Opeth going through the motions of being Opeth. It's even more apparent when hearing Mikael discuss the writing process and his affinity for later or earlier albums. It seems like he was exhausted by making Deliverance and Damnation, but that at least one of those albums was creatively rewarding for him.

New album's OK. So far nothing too outstanding, but nothing bad either, think it'll be a grower. I'll be more thorough about it once we get to it in the Survivor.

I realized the thing I miss the most from old Opeth are the lengthy complex riffs that last 10-15 seconds. And also parts like this that appear in many of their songs, dunno if it's a harmony or something.

Opeth was amazing on Sunday!

Walked up to the venue about two hours before doors opened (it's only a mile from the apt) and grabbed a spot in line. We took turns grabbing some sandwiches while we waited, chatting with other Opeth fans and dodging the numerous panhandlers. Doors opened about 5:30, we made a bee line for the balcony and got dead center in the very first row along the railing.

The Sword came on a little over an hour later and played a pretty short set (just about 40 mins). I know I've seen them before, but I really don't remember them being so bluesy. There was no metal happening, and I could have sworn they were a metal band. Anyway, solid music but the vocalist is either quite bad or just had an off night.

Anyway, like clockwork, Opeth appeared on stage thirty minutes after The Sword finished and proceeded to put on an absolutely stellar 2-hour show. They were on fire in every song, old and new.

Setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/opeth/2016/riviera-theatre-chicago-il-1bfd0134.html

The new songs sounded incredible, with the shockers of the night being Wilde Flowers, Will O The Wisp, and The Devil's Orchard sounding just absolutely amazing. Will O The Wisp was one of the best performances I've ever seen them do. WF and DO came off so much better live than on the albums. Oh hey, and Ghost of Perdition was the greatest thing ever. A perfect second song.

Mikael was hilarious as usual. The band took about 8-10 minutes during the end of the set to take requests, which was mostly Mikael trying to remember how to play his songs, forgetting, and saying he needed to go home and practice.

B5OSbhT.jpg

More images here: http://imgur.com/a/dVffo

Regardless of your opinion of Newpeth, I highly recommend this tour. The setlist flows beautifully and the band is at the top of their game. Fredrik's solos were absolutely perfect and holy crap, can Joakim sing the hell out of a harmony!

I've been listening to Sorceress in the car and I'm starting to enjoy it more. Strange Brew and Era are great songs.

Bonus disc is cool too. Really impressed with the orchestrations on the live cuts, much more interesting than your typical rock band/orchestra combos. Actually reminds me of Atom Heart Mother by Floyd with the brass.

I like Sorceress 2 if I'm in a mellow mood but I agree about Strange Brew. It sounds like a Heritage leftover. Reminds me of that one with the flute.

Really enjoying the new album! Thought pale communion was better but this is a real grower and gets better each time I listen to it!

Grabbed tickets for the Wembley show the other day too. Can't wait to see them live, last time was at the roundhouse and that seems ages ago now. Been busting out the back catalogue too and falling in love with this great band all over again

Sorceress 2 and Strange Brew remain the only songs that I cannot get into whatsoever.

Same here.

I like Sorceress 2 if I'm in a mellow mood but I agree about Strange Brew. It sounds like a Heritage leftover. Reminds me of that one with the flute.

Do you mean Famine? Famine is a way better song than Strange Brew imo. One of the better songs on Heritage.

Era and Wilde Flowers are easily my favorite tracks on the album.

Really enjoying the new album! Thought pale communion was better but this is a real grower and gets better each time I listen to it!

Grabbed tickets for the Wembley show the other day too. Can't wait to see them live, last time was at the roundhouse and that seems ages ago now. Been busting out the back catalogue too and falling in love with this great band all over again

Come vote in the Opeth survivor! We're still on the first two albums and going through the whole catalogue chronologically!

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/opeth-survivor-2016-round-1.43465/

Do you mean Famine? Famine is a way better song than Strange Brew imo. One of the better songs on Heritage.

Maybe? That album is one big blur to me. Could've been Haxprocess, too. Only Devil's Orchard, Nepenthe, Lines, and the second part of Folklore stick out to me.

Era and Wilde Flowers are easily my favorite tracks on the album.

Era has a great chorus and solo but the rest I find to be kind of repetitive with a main riff that is quite generic for Opeth. Wilde Flowers is one of my favorites, though. The verses have this evil puppet shop creepiness to them, the solo is outstanding, and that ending is killer.

Maybe? That album is one big blur to me. Could've been Haxprocess, too. Only Devil's Orchard, Nepenthe, Lines, and the second part of Folklore stick out to me.

I'm a bigger fan of that record than anyone else here. I consider it to be the best "New Opeth" album. And Famine is one of my favorites. The flutes, the percussion and of course that killer heavy riff in the middle.

I dont think I've listened to Heritage since it was the latest Opeth album. I remember liking some of it but also feeling that about half the record was a blur. Curious to revisit it now that we have two Newpeth albums to compare it to. My listen to Sorceress had me thinking that it's the album Heritage should've been.

My listen to Sorceress had me thinking that it's the album Heritage should've been.

I'd disagree with that, and it's for the same reason some people have the feeling the album was a blur. Heritage was a more relaxed record, a lot of breathing room in the music. It veered towards jazz fusion quite often. Pale Communion and Sorceress are much more straight forward progressive rock records. So I don't think the style "culminated" in Sorceress, I consider Heritage to have a different approach to the music.

Back