On the alphabetization of Maiden songs

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
I have all my favourite Maiden songs in a seperate folder for easy listening. When I went to make a playlist today, I was struck by an odd quandry. In what order do I put them? Normally, the computer decides this for me by putting things in descending alphabetical order.
However, normal conventions in English publications is to ignore the definite and indefinite articles (the/a/an) of titles when deciding the alphabetical order.
On the other hand, sometimes the article is important to understanding the intended meaning of the song, and I think this is certainly true with Maiden.
There are 22 songs by Maiden that begin with "the." So, should I put "The Clansman" under T or under C?

Mav and I talked briefly on this a few months ago (I forget why). I think at the time I told him songs beginnign with "the" should go under T, but now I'm not sure anymore.

My, Iron Duke, I think you've reached the deepest boredom. You're on you way to set a record!
You have really too much free time...
It's quite impressive, really!

[!--QuoteBegin-Le Hibou - The Owl+Sep 25 2005, 02:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Le Hibou - The Owl @ Sep 25 2005, 02:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My, Iron Duke, I think you've reached the deepest boredom. You're on you way to set a record!
[snapback]119299[/snapback]​
[/quote]

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] That's true [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

And I think that songs begining with THE should go in T... that way you dont get confused....

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] but anyway?.... why is this important?!

Let's agree to disagree. Personally, I'd put 'The' songs under the letter of the next word, eg. The Clansman under C. At any rate, in this world of uncertainty, we can all find solace in the fact that The Trooper goes under 'T'.

[!--QuoteBegin-Le Hibou - The Owl+Sep 25 2005, 04:36 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Le Hibou - The Owl @ Sep 25 2005, 04:36 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]My, Iron Duke, I think you've reached the deepest boredom. You're on you way to set a record!
[snapback]119299[/snapback]​
[/quote]
[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Go on [span style=\'font-family:Times\']IronDuke[/span]!!!! When you finish, give the list to me!!! [!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]
And forget [span style=\'color:blue\']"the[/span]" ,[span style=\'font-family:Times\']national acrobat[/span] has right. [!--emo&:blush:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blush.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blush.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

By a strange coincedence I saw a 'Scrubs' episode last night in which Elliot debates whether to put Bell Biv DeVoe under B or D when alphabetizing her cd collection. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Personally, I consider "The" songs as beginning with T for alphabetization purposes. This is because I work with computers a lot, and I have adapted to alphabetizing items in the same way a computer would.

It also makes the file names look nicer. "The Clansman.mp3" is much better than "Clansman.mp3" or (H forbid) "Clansman, The.mp3".

Of course, if you have no need to have your list be computer-parsable and you also have an irrational desire to follow tradition ([!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]) then by all means, do it the old-fashioned way. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Sep 26 2005, 04:02 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Sep 26 2005, 04:02 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Of course, if you have no need to have your list be computer-parsable and you also have an irrational desire to follow tradition ([!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]) then by all means, do it the old-fashioned way. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]119365[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I see this as a prime example of the limitations of computers. A human being can look at the title "The Clansman" and know it goes under "C", whereas a computer uses yes/no equations and 'sees' that the title begins with T (unless it is programmed to ignore the word 'the')

And it's not so much 'old fashioned' as it is practical. Imagine if you had 1000 songs, all beginning with "the" (which is the most common word in the English language, and without a doubt the most common word to stard any title of any work)
Your "t" folder would be huge and unmanageable.

I think I'm going to stick with conventions for now and file "The Clansman" under C.

I find it hard to fathom how you ponder over so meaningless and trivial a problem. Personally, I would put them in ascending chronological order, so you can see the progression of Maiden. Either that or in a random order. But I would say that The Clansman would go under C. Makes more sense, doesn't it?

Back