Official Tennis thread

Anyone here following Wimbledon at the moment? Who are you routing for?

I myself hope Federer can break the open era record for Wimbledon titles this year (came agonisingly close last year)
It'll be very tough, and I think his groundstrokes are definitely not what they used to be (what on earth happened to the greatest forehand of all time?) but I still believe he can go top form depending on the match (like Shanghai semi finals last year) and if he can achieve that at the right times and maintain it, he can bag his 8th Wimbledon and 18th slam.

(Fun fact- While watching the Shanghai open last year, guess who the camera caught among the spectators?...none other than Adrian Smith and Nicko McBrain!...unfortunately, the commentator didn't know who they were)

Come on Federer! *shouts this when Federer wins the 2nd set: 1-1*

(Fun fact- While watching the Shanghai open last year, guess who the camera caught among the spectators?...none other than Adrian Smith and Nicko McBrain!...unfortunately, the commentator didn't know who they were)
Do you have a link to footage?

I love tennis but it's been a while since I've watched a game. Can't miss the Wimbledon final, especially when it's Federer vs. Djokovic.

Come on Federer! *shouts this when Federer wins the 2nd set: 1-1*

Do you have a link to footage?

A bit disappointed, but I had a feeling Federer peaked against Murray and would have a let down against Djokovic. At least he won that epic tie break.

Sorry, I tried looking, but I haven't seen any recorded footage where they show them. I streamed the match via dracula stream, But I know what I saw dammit!
Im pretty sure it was either the semis or quarter finals, definitely one of Federers matches. I can't quite remember the channel I was streaming, but there's a good chance it was either sky sport or espn.

Anyone else here kinda worried at the severe lack of up and coming players making it deep into the slams and challenging the old guard? The likes of Grigor Dimitrov, Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori should be entering their peaks, but they are really struggling.
When the Sampras/Agassi and co era ended, it was the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Marat Safin and Andy Roddick, among others, who stepped up and planted the flag of the new generation, beating the old guard on the biggest stages. When their era ended it was Nadal, Djokovic and Murray stepping up. But who have we got now, as the current generation is scheduled for its twilight years?

Anyone else here kinda worried at the severe lack of up and coming players making it deep into the slams and challenging the old guard? The likes of Grigor Dimitrov, Milos Raonic and Kei Nishikori should be entering their peaks, but they are really struggling.

I think it's a shame that Del Potro and Söderling both vanished with injuries at about the same time. Those two would have been able to shake things up a bit in the past few years.

Steal and steal... it's his second Slam and he's been playing well for the past year and a half. A bit of a surprise, really, I don't remember people talking about him as a future champion.

This thread only becomes active when a Grand Slam final has been played, gonna stick to that tradition.

Novak Djokovic won the US Open, that's his third Grand Slam of the year. Had he been able to beat Stan Wawrinka in the Roland Garros final, he'd have completed the Yearly Grand Slam. Something neither Federer nor Nadal have been able to do in their careers. Federer-Nadal rivalry made tennis a part of the creme de la creme in sports and as a result Djokovic has been treated like a stepchild in a way but he's not that far away from Nadal's level at this point. 10 Grand Slams now to Nadal's 14. Only thing Nole has to do to get the recognition he deserves is to win Roland Garros, imo.

Last edited:
Had he been able to beat Stan Wawrinka in the Roland Garros final, he'd have completed the Yearly Grand Slam. Something neither Federer nor Nadal have been able to do in their careers.
It simply goes to show how insanely difficult winning a Grand Slam is (see also Serena). There's always somebody in the way; Federer had Nadal blocking him at RG in 06/07, for instance. You only have to slip up a little to lose a match against another top player.

Anyway, going back to the post-Wimbledon discussion about the lack of young talent breaking through, the youngest men's quarterfinalist at USO was 27 (Cilic), and a 34-year-old made a second consecutive Slam final. And the women's champion retired after winning...

The beeb didn't name anyone, but they're promising big names. I guess there goes Sepp Blatter's second choice at careers.

Back