1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official Star Wars Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bearfan, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

It was pretty clear to me that the people on the balcony looking at the laser were the republican leadership.

2. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Not to mention Hux has a monologue right before that where he explains that they are going to destroy the republic.

I do agree that the Resistance and First Order could've been set up better though. We know that they are this trilogy's version of the Rebellion and the Empire respectively, which is enough to get us through the film's story, but it does leave the questions open of why the rebranding and why is the Resistance not just the Republic army. Maybe these will be answered in future films, but I suspect not.

3. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

I had to leave this somewhere.

[​IMG]

4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Can I just say that Domnhall Gleeson as Hux was marvellous? Evil just oozed off of him, as did his hatred of Kylo Ren.

5. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

I don't think I've ever seen Domnhall Gleeson (or his father) do anything that wasn't marvelous.

6. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

He was great, and I loved his chemistry with Kylo Ren. There was a clear nod to Vader and Tarkin but two completely different characters and a different dynamic between them.

7. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

A piece of recent Episode 8 news got me really excited. It appears that John Williams is already scoring the film, because Rian Johnson wants to use the music for editing (via https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/830816741726969856). Now that's really interesting when you think about it. Usually the composer has to work with a more or less finished product and much closer to the release, but in this case it might mean that Rian is letting Williams tell the story to some extent. If that's true then I love this approach, because it shows appreciation of what music brings to Star Wars. Well, obviously it's impossible to make the whole cut of the film around the music and that's definitely not the case, but at least some freedom on Williams' part is added value.

I can't stress enough how much faith I have in Rian Johnson. This might be the best and most original Star Wars film. I mean all I've heard about it and what I've seen from this director thus far is extremely encouraging. That said, I know it's not a given and I'm in for a hell of a disappointment if the film doesn't blow my mind... :p

8. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

First look at TLJ merch packaging. And most importantly: new outfits for Rey and Finn!

[​IMG]

terrell39 likes this.
  9. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

Looks like The Last Jedi is plural .. which I already assumed. Unless my admittedly poor German reading is not failing me, this looks pretty plural

[​IMG]

10. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

Yes, it's plural in other languages as well. I'm surprised, to be honest. I liked the idea of singular more, but it's still a great title.