Official Star Wars Thread

I reckon Luke's going to die. ;) If they're going to part mirror the plot of the original trilogy, the teacher's gotta die, leaving the student to find their own path as the last of the Jedi.

If they're going to part mirror the plot of the original trilogy have a traditional Campbellian epic like the original trilogy, the teacher's gotta die, leaving the student to find their own path as the last of the Jedi.
fixed that.

They got Campbell's "death of a mentor" covered with Han's death. I don't think Luke has to die - definitely won't happen in VIII in my opinion. It's likely, though, that they want to close his chapter definitely and not leave it to books or whatever.

regarding the title .. yes, I ripped this off from elsewhere

Makes me think this story is about Luke and his return

--------------------------------------------------

it was referenced TWICE in The Force Awakens.

1. It's in the crawl itself:

Episode VII

THE FORCE AWAKENS

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

2. Supreme Leader Snoke also mentions it:

Snoke: "The droid will soon be delivered to the Resistance, leading them to the last Jedi. If Skywalker returns, the new Jedi will rise."

Just read a tweet that points out that the word Jedi can be single...OR plural. The Last Jedi could be referring to Luke & Rey, not just Luke.

They got Campbell's "death of a mentor" covered with Han's death. I don't think Luke has to die - definitely won't happen in VIII in my opinion. It's likely, though, that they want to close his chapter definitely and not leave it to books or whatever.

Not sure how I would react to Luke dying (as corny as it sounds, I had a hard enough time with Han:eek:). Along with James Bond and Indiana Jones, Luke is one of those 'chosen one' heroes that I grew up with in the 80s who has always been impervious to death in my mind. Though I have a feeling that if Disney does kill him off at some point in the new trilogy, he'll either peacefully pass like Yoda or have some selfless sacrifice moment like Kenobi.

It will be interesting though. With Han written out, and Fisher's untimely passing, I can't really see Disney cleaning out the big three original heroes completely...so I have a feeling that Luke might make it out alive....unless they want to tie off the OT once and for all.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know this trilogy is meant to be a passing of the baton thing, but it would be unnatural if all of the original three heroes happened to die in this story.

And come on, with Han's death and Rogue One behind us I just wanna watch the damned movie and NOT get emotionally wrecked over again. :p

Game of Thrones "culture" is just the culture of medieval Europe returned to prevalence and compacted into 8 seasons instead of 400 years! Star Wars is a much better, more interesting culture. I think we'll be fine.

I was secretly holding out hope that a teaser trailer for Episode 8 would debut during the Super Bowl...but I guess we'll have to wait a little longer.

That's a month before Celebration - I will be surprised if they don't hold it for that event (but still think it's possible).

Most recent rumours suggest a "behind the scenes sizzle reel" will be the first thing we'll see from The Last Jedi and that's reportedly being prepared for Celebration. Source: http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2017/02/rumor-star-wars-the-last-jedi-trailer-when-and-where.html I can't imagine them not showing the teaser during the very same panel but later (which is a lame order IMO). If I knew only about the BTS video, I'd be sure the teaser will drop with Beauty and the Beast. But then they say the reel will be our first look... I hope the source of the rumour is not accurate and we'll get the proper teaser first.

Seems like a good venue to unveil a first teaser or trailer indeed.

Back