Official Star Wars Thread

I wonder how they thought they would be able to release VIII in May at first... It seems like it would have taken literally all the spotlight from Rogue One if they'd started marketing that around this time.

Yeah, agreed. We're used to getting a Star Wars movie every 2-3 years in cycle and those cycles were nearly 20 years apart. 1 Star Wars a year seems insane, much less 2 in 6 months! I hope they keep it spread out like this and don't go full Marvel with 2-3 films a year.

They recently opened a drive in near our house, about a 20 minute drive, going to go see Rogue One again there tomorrow night. I am pretty sure this is my first Star Wars in a drive in since the original movie came out.

Yeah, agreed. We're used to getting a Star Wars movie every 2-3 years in cycle and those cycles were nearly 20 years apart. 1 Star Wars a year seems insane, much less 2 in 6 months! I hope they keep it spread out like this and don't go full Marvel with 2-3 films a year.

Yeah, one a year around Christmas time seems to be a nice pace to me. I think the comic movies are way over saturated.

Saw Ep IV last night with my son. First time in many years. When I was younger, before the film released on VHS, a friend of my dad filmed the movie in a theater and gave us a copy. Of course, it was dark but I watched it many times (yes I saw the film in the theater during the first two runs prior). It is strange now seeing IV in vibrant colors and a clear picture on the Blu-Ray. Also, now I can turn on the captions and am surprised at how wrong I was about what they are saying on some of the lines. For example, when Leia kisses Luke before they swing across the disabled light bridge on the Death Star, I always thought she said "Good luck", but what she says is "FOR luck".

When we were reading the opening scroll, the first half describes the events of RO. My son noticed this too. Really cool that now we have finally seen that story.

I think we are going to wait until close to Ep 8 release date to re-watch V-VII.

Just rewatched TFA. When Kylo is interrogating Rey, he says "Don't be afraid. I feel it too." Feel what? In that scene and their lightsaber duel, there is a connection between them of some kind. My theory is she is his sister. Possibly conceived & born after Ben was sent to train with Luke and then abandoned on Jakku? Probably will find out in Ep 9.

There's definitely a parentage back story about her. Being his sister (hey, Ren and Rey aren't totally dissimilar names) sounds a likely possibility. There was briefly a father/daughter type relationship forming between Han and Rey. But Han and Leia made no reference to having another child, which I would have expected if they were going to work up to revealing that both were her parents. If they are siblings, could it be that Leia hid her pregnancy? Could Rey have been an immaculate conception like Anakin? It would make sense that if a new Sith Lord arose (Snoke), there would be a powerful Jedi to counter him somewhere. A new vergence of the Force around an individual could restore balance.

The idea of the villain being a close relative, as with Luke and Vader, recreates the dilemma of the original trilogy. There's got to be a big plot twist somewhere, though, if we're lured into thinking the new trilogy is a near-reflection of the first. Perhaps Rey completely fails to bring Ren around in the end - or does she have to die in the process of bringing balance?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/fi...e-one-hollywood-imagination-drought-star-wars
But while cinephiles have long become used to shelling out their hard-earned wonga to watch the same movie several times over, a new interview with the editors of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story hints that Hollywood’s habit of regurgitation goes further than we imagined. It reveals the film’s initial “cut”, designed to map out the movie before any shooting took place, was cobbled together by editor Colin Goudie using footage from hundreds of other existing films.
I ain't seen RO yet. Fair comment?

From 2010 onwards, only 3 original movies made Top 10 highest grossing movies of the year worldwide. By original, I mean a movie not based on a book, comic book or cartoon and not a sequel. Of those 3, 2 were Christopher Nolan movies (Inception and Interstellar) and the 3rd one was Gravity. That's 3 out of 70. Of course, Hollywood is regurgitating movies.

I enjoyed Rogue One a lot, it's a good yarn in the Star Wars universe, with a handful of decent new characters and a small dose of the humour that I thought was lacking completely from the prequels. However, I felt at times that I was watching a generic WWII/Vietnam War movie which just so happened to be done with blasters and SW protagonists. It had less of a Star Wars 'feel' to me than The Force Awakens, which was definitely more in the spirit of the original three. Some of the other scenes and general plot might as well have come from a random emotional drama, too, they didn't have much of the SW stamp on them.

I think that's what I liked so much about RO, Brigs, especially after the fan-service/plot re-trod of TFA. I truly loved TFA, but it tried so hard to be Star Wars that it felt a bit flat at times, whereas RO just said, "We are in this world, but this is a very different movie with a very different feel." It gave me hope that the future "Star Wars story" films will push the limits of experimentation a bit more instead of just fan-servicing as "that one Star Wars movie this year" the way I think a lot of the Marvel movies do.

Lucas apparently made all the Star Wars-films like that though. Don't know if it was down to every scene or not in the final film, but there's countless of examples of shots stolen from old films. Obvious inspirations like Flash Gordon, Wizard of Oz. The guy who wrote Ring Theory has been tweeting countless examples of this. (Whatever you think of that piece, this is a bit more grounded.)

Some examples:

From 2010 onwards, only 3 original movies made Top 10 highest grossing movies of the year worldwide. By original, I mean a movie not based on a book, comic book or cartoon and not a sequel. Of those 3, 2 were Christopher Nolan movies (Inception and Interstellar) and the 3rd one was Gravity. That's 3 out of 70. Of course, Hollywood is regurgitating movies.
Interstellar also wasn't a remake or sequel, but it was heavily influenced by older SciFi movies like 2001.

Obvious inspirations like Flash Gordon, Wizard of Oz. The guy who wrote Ring Theory has been tweeting countless examples of this. (Whatever you think of that piece, this is a bit more grounded.)
Absolutely. The links between films like The Hidden Fortress and Dambusters are very well documented as well.

Absolutely. The links between films like The Hidden Fortress and Dambusters are very well documented as well.

Flash is an easy one to notice for sure ... my Dad was (I assume still is) a big fan of Flash having seen the serials in the theaters when he was a kid. I have watched the 3 series ... which are really cool, especially considering when they were mad (the rock, hawk, shark, and clay people really come to mind). Worth watching if you can for sure ... the female lead "screams" get a bit old, but beyond that they are great.

Epic title!!!

Ok, I've already seen people reading way too much into it ("Luke's gonna die!" etc.). To me it's clear: it simply refers to Luke as we know him at the time of TFA (it's even in the opening crawl: "Skywalker, the last Jedi"). So since he's a key element of the story now, it was a great choice to capture it in the title. I'm sure it doesn't mean there will be no Jedi anymore. It's like: "he's the last Jedi currently, but will it be the case later on? Let's find out!" However, a bit of ambiguity was probably intentional, because we know Rey will be trained.

Last edited:
Back