Official Star Wars Thread

Yeah, Knight of the Old Republic ... they might be my favorite games (Star Wars or not) ever. I downloaded the MMO game last night, now that it is free to play. I've not fired it up yet, but for free am willing to give it a shot.
Didn't know this! Gonna check it out ASAP.

The reason SWTOR "failed" (it went from the most subscribers at launch for any MMO, to less than 1/3rd that within the opening month) and went free to play so damn quickly is because it honestly is horrible as an MMORPG. HOWEVER, if you view it as Co-Op KOTOR it works very well.

They put an incredible amount of funding into the voice acting and personal storylines for each character, just not a lot into the multiplayer aspect.. which as a massively multiplayer game is rather perplexing. For those of you who enjoyed KOTOR I'd imagine you will find it enjoyable.

I have it installed, need to find some time to play it. I am not really a fan of MMO games, I would have prefered KOTOR 3 to this, but from what Crimson Idol is saying, this might be a good game for me.

What leads up? Darth Plagueis (the book). It is extremely revealing indeed and fresh out. Not going to reveal anything but it's mandatory, to say the least.
Fresh out? So there are no books from the 70's 80's worth reading, leading up to Episode IV? I was under the impression that prior to the Prequel movies there were TONS of books dealing with the before and after. I got a bit overwhelmed trying to make sense of all the books that were out and their timeline.

At any rate I will check it out regardless of when it was published and I'll take a look at the Thrawn Trilogy. Thanks!

Assuming they do the stand alone movies, I would be up for this. If they wanted to make a more "low key" personal story, this would be a good one. Obi Wan dealing with the loss of the Republic, losing Anakin to the dark side, watching over Luke from afar, etc.

MTV News sat down with McGregor and his "Jack the Giant Slayer" co-star Stanley Tucci during a press event for the new film, and the former Obi-Wan Kenobi shared his thoughts on a possible spin-off movie.
"I think it's a good idea," McGregor said of getting his own film. "The only bit that I could get away with doing is after the last one I made, 'Episode III,' before Alec Guinness, there's that period where he's in the desert."

McGregor is, of course, speaking of the period of time between the two trilogies, after Anakin Skywalker's transformation into Darth Vader and before Luke Skywalker meets Old Ben Kenobi. The Jedi was supposedly watching over Luke while he grew up with his aunt and uncle on Tatooine, but what he did to keep himself busy is a mystery. "That might be my window, there, to tell that story," McGregor said. "I don't know what he did in the desert. We could make up some stuff."
Whatever the story might be, McGregor definitely seemed up to the task. "I'd be up for it," he said.
"Could be quite exciting. I'd be up for it, for sure, of course."

There is quite a lot in the extended universe about obi-wans encounters on tattooine if I recall, including fighting other interactions with other jedi/sith such as http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Krayt

No idea of books that cover this (if any), most of it comes from the wiki for me. There's a lot of really bizarre stories in the old republic era, and across the time line the force seems to get rather out of control, Starkiller and Sidious both getting a bit stupid imo :/

I'd be interested to see how Ewan MacGregor does Obi-Wan with no Lucas directing.

Shot. Countershot. Shot. Countershot. Run six paces then slow because the greenscreen is done. Shot. Countershot.

Fresh out? So there are no books from the 70's 80's worth reading, leading up to Episode IV? I was under the impression that prior to the Prequel movies there were TONS of books dealing with the before and after. I got a bit overwhelmed trying to make sense of all the books that were out and their timeline.

At any rate I will check it out regardless of when it was published and I'll take a look at the Thrawn Trilogy. Thanks!
It doesn't cover what happens between 3 and 4, bur rather the overall grand scheme surrounding the creation and execution of the Empire takeover and Sith masterplan. It's very, very good.

I've read a couple of others, taking place inbetween 3 and 4, but honestly didn't do nearly as much for me as Bane or Plageuis. I'm enjoying the thrawn trilogy. Soon finished with the first book.

I'd be interested to see how Ewan MacGregor does Obi-Wan with no Lucas directing.

Shot. Countershot. Shot. Countershot. Run six paces then slow because the greenscreen is done. Shot. Countershot.

I see, someone has wasted their time with Red Letter Media here.

I think that, as far as the second trilogy goes, Ewan was my favorite part. He was the only one that came close to really showing emotion and making you feel anything.

I'm going to drop my geek anchor and see what everyone thinks. I was considering the whole 'prophesy' and Anakin bringing 'balance' to the Force. Then I thought, "the Force was out of balance in the favor of the Jedi", so, why do they need it to be balanced? What is the real goal here? Then I rewatched the 'new trilogy' and realized that, IMO, the Jedi are far to strict and absolutist in their thoughts and structure. You can see it all through the Original Trilogy, where both Obi-Wan and Yoda think that Anakin is not savable. It seems that the Jedi feel that there is only light and dark, and that once you've gone 'dark' there is no return. No love, no marriage, no family, only light and dark, no grey. Now, after Luke comes along and 'redeems' Anakin, he proves that there is more than their strict belief. If you follow along into the EU, you see that Luke falls in love, gets married and has kids. Leia has kids, also. So, could it be that Anakin did fulfill the prophecy? He was required to become evil to destroy the Jedi, so that Luke could come along and start it all over with a new vision of what Jedi are? Maybe the Jedi council was far too buried in their own self righteousness to see that changes needed to be made, and they had to be wiped out to be redone.

I'm sure I'm not coming up with any original thoughts here, but it was something I had recently been thinking. Damn, buying that 6-disk set was just trouble for me. :)

Never thought of it that way. That's actually really cool if they intended it to be like that.

Also note that he also killed Sidious - And redeemed himself, effectively ridding the universe of both Vader and Sidious. So even if your (although I lean towards agreeing with it) thesis that bringing down the Jedi itself fulfilled the prophecy is wrong, the prophecy, or at least the Jedi perception of it, was still fulfilled when Anakin brought down the Sith.
I agree that everything is heavily portrayed as black and white in the movies. The EU is far more nuanced.

There have been several other redeemed Siths before Anakin though, but that's obviously EU territory.

Well to balance everything wouldn't you have to bring down the Sith as well?

The whole prophecy business and balance of the force is a matter of perception. The Jedi doesn't think balancing the Force means that the strength/presence of the Dark side is equal to the light side, but means that the force is at harmony when the Dark side is subjugated. They view the Dark side as a perversion of wielding the force and therefore equal power distribution between light and dark would make the force unbalanced aka in disharmony.

Yeah, I can understand that. I've always figured that the Sith needed to be removed, but I've always felt there was more to it than that. And the Jedi in the Prequel Trilogy seem to be stuck in their ways far too much.

I like how the EU allows for far more 'grey' area.

Back