Official MLB baseball thread.

Jays are toast dropping the first 2 in a 5 game series at home.

Cubs play the Cardinals for the first time in the playoffs in a few minutes. Over 123 years, they have faced each other 2.363 times in the regular season.

Lester pitched well, but Lackey pitched better. The Cubs need their offense to show up in game 2, if they hope to have any shot at winning this series.

Jays are toast dropping the first 2 in a 5 game series at home.
:(
All my hopes will have to lie with the Cubs, then. But it was nevertheless great to see them in the Postseason again after 22 years.

Baseball is full of stats like that. I think you would enjoy it. :p

I would really recommend the book Moneyball (I know there was a movie as well, I have yet to see it). Really interesting look at how baseball really started using statistics more and more to determine the value of players. Baseball really suits itself to statistical analysis more than any other sport I can think of.

Yeah, I've seen the film and I'm familiar with the story. I guess it goes to show that baseball really is one of the nerdiest sports out there.

Yeah, I've seen the film and I'm familiar with the story. I guess it goes to show that baseball really is one of the nerdiest sports out there.

Yeah, pretty much. That was my stats class in college, analyzing baseball. I spent a semester analyzing the value proposition of the stolen base.

The Cubs picked up their first 3 runs on balls that didn't leave the infield. Even more improbable, the first 2 runs scored off of squeeze plays. The last time Chicago did anything remotely similar was in 1910 off of back-to-back sac bunts

The Jays were able to beat the Rangers in Texas to stay alive for at least one more game.

The big story of the playoffs right now is Chase Utley's slide into 2nd base: http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/11493214/v521658783
Utley went in hard to break up a double play, and ended up breaking Ruben Tejada's leg. The Crazy thing is neither player touched the base at all during the play, yet Utley was ruled safe after a replay review. This was a huge moment during the game, as the Dodgers scored a run on the play, and ended up winning the game. The even crazier thing is that it has now been announced that Chase Utley will be suspended for games 3 and 4.

As for the Cubs, Winning game 2 in St Louis was pretty huge for their chances of advancing. The next 2 games will be played at Wrigley Field, with Jake Arrieta pitching game 3.

Tonight is the key game for the Cubs, they cannot win the series without a win from Arrieta, beyond the usual importance of a game 3 in a tied best of 5 series

Jays got themselves back in this (pending an epic collapse the rest of today) ... game 5 in Toronto. They look like they have the edge now

How 'bout this for a couple of amazing feats: The Cubs are the first team ever to have 4 players, 25 and under, homer in the same postseason game. And the first to have 5 players 26 & under do it

Also the first team to hit 6 in a single postseason game.

Huge win tongiht

Last edited:
Definitely. Arrieta didn't have his best stuff, but the offense was able to pick him up. Now we got Hammel going tomorrow looking to close out the series.

The Cubs clinch a postseason series at Wrigley Field for the first time since....ever! For the record, they have been playing at Wrigley since 1916.

They will be playing the winner of the Dodgers-Mets series in the NLCS

Back