Official MLB baseball thread.

I just bought MLB.tv for 2011. Just a while ago, we cancelled our DirectTV service and replaced it with a media computer hooked up to the TV with an over the air for local stations via Windows Media Center, Hulu, and our existing subscription to Netflix. as an aside, this has worked out great, I do not feel like I am missing anything from the dish and we pay $8 a month for hulu plus versus $90/month.

One of my thoughts in doing that was to buy the streaming baseball package, Hockey Playoffs, and either this season or next, NFL will be available. I test drove MLB tonight and it works great, they have the 2010 season archive up, I watched 2 innings of a game and it looked good in HD, no buffering, etc.

AS a bonus, there is a way to watch multiple games at once and every game is available (minus blackouts where ESPN/Fox has exclusive rights) and local games. it is odd that even though I live in Dallas, the Astros are blacked out as well as the Rangers. For the Rangers, I can get their games on the antenna.

For $119 for the whole regular season for the Premier subscription
You can watch either the home or away broadcast (when available), do the split screen deal, watch archives of the whole seasons (even games that were blacked out live are up 90 mins after the game), and they have compressed games (I assume they just show the final pitch in each at bat), a fair amount of spring training games, the radio broadcast for each game, DVR-like controls for the games.

Considering the amount of games, I think this is a very nice deal and I will be watching a lot of baseball this year.

I love living in the future! If it wasn't for the fact that I am not a baseball fan, I'd do the same. But it's really just Netflix for baseball. I am probably getting Gamecenter for NHL next year.

I hope that you enjoy the purchase! Do you follow the Cubs?

The Cubs are my team.  The NHL offers a pretty similar deal.  The game of the week on NBC is not cutting it right now for me, I am planning on buying the NHL streaming package when the playoffs start (which I hope the Blackhawks will be in and stick around for a few rounds). 

It is amazing though, then I first started watching baseball in 1975, you got the local team(s), the Saturday Game of the Week and Monday Night Baseball, the All-Star Game/Playoffs/World Series and that was it.  I would go two or three seasons without seeing some American League teams ever play.  Now I can watch any game I want any time I want, it is incredible how technology has advanced so much in such a short period of time.

Well, Toronto has had a good start to the season being 3-1. Let's hope they carry on that way.

Cubs are 3 and 2.  Really enjoying the mlb.tv condensed games, they show the last pitch of key plays and you can go though an entire game in 5 to 15 minutes depending on the games. 

Bumping an old thread to point out that what the Dodgers are doing is just ridiculous.

Ten straight and on a 42-8 run, equaling the best 50-game stretch in over 100 years.

Wow! I haven't been paying much attention, but that Yasiel Puig (sp?) sounds like an animal.

I think that I've been ignoring baseball news lately, cus I'm just tired of all the PED stuff being said all the time. I know it's news, but I wish I could just hear what is happening in the games, sometimes.

Puig is fun to watch, in part because he is an uncoachable loose cannon. Crazy talented though. Hanly Ramirez has been awesome too, and Clayton Kershaw is becoming the best pitcher in the world.

Still, an amazing run. Especially for all the drama they seem to have been through in the last 5 or so years.

Yeah, LA is looking really good. Their spending spree is paying off much better than the team down the road from them

Reviving an old thread as the season is now coming to end and the playoffs are about to begin.

As a Cubs fan, I am very excited to see how far they can make it, as they will be playing in the postseason for the first time since 2008. They have a very young team with a great manager, and they have surpassed just about everyone's expectations for this season. Unfortunately, it will all hinge on a 1-game playoff with the Pirates, although I think the Cubs should have the advantage with Jake Arrieta pitching. The winning team will then be "rewarded" with a best-0f-5 against the Cardinals. The Mets-Dodgers series should be very exciting as well.

In the AL the Blue Jays have looked unstoppable ever since they got Troy Tulowitzki and David Price at the trade deadline. It will also be interesting to see whether the Royals can repeat their success from last year and make it back to the World Series. The final wildcard spot is still up for grabs as well, and it's looking like it will come down to the very last day. It will either be the Astros or Angels, (or the Twins who are technically still alive.)

As a Jays fan since '92, I can say that I'm pretty happy with how things have been going so far.

Cubs fan as well, bad luck having the 3rd best record in all of baseball, but having the top 2 in the same division. I feel good about Arrieta in a one game playoff, the bad part is if they win that one game, he can probably only go 1 game in the next series against STL.

If they get that far, either Hammels or Hendricks really needs to step up (ideally both).

The Cubs have always been my favourite NL team, so it would be cool to see them play Toronto in the World Series.

Cubs-Jays is my ideal matchup as well. If the Cubs were to lose the wildcard game, I would honestly root for the Pirates the rest of the way in the NL. I've always had a soft spot for them, probably because they've been terrible for so long until just recently. Any WS matchup other than Yankees-Cardinals is fine by me!:bigsmile:

I'm not even sure who is the #3 between Hammel and Hendricks at this point. I have a feeling they both will be on a short leash if/when they pitch. The bullpen has been pretty solid all year, though.

Back