Official Hockey discussion thread

That's because advanced statistics aren't nearly as useful as their proponents pretend them to be.

In the long run they are useful though and the teams with "horrible stats" can't get away with it forever. The next season both teams were out of the playoffs.

Last edited:
I think advanced states work incredibly well in baseball due to the nature of that sport being a series of linear moments .. pitcher throws ball ... something happens that if it is hit .. it goes to 1 player who does something.

Other sports like hockey have too many variables happening at the same time to make isolating one player from another very complicated and not overly realistic. It is certainly worth the effort and might provide some value in player evaluation, but I think it would be a mistake to use them a a primary driver for it.

On another note, due to the NHLs emergency goalie rules .. this guy had the experience of a lifetime

https://www.nhl.com/news/eric-semborski-blackhawks-emergency-backup-goalie/c-284354006

Roloson was a pretty good goalie in his day. And I liked that Quenneville was planning to put the backup fellow out if they were in a no-win situation. That'd be special for that lad. Another reason to think of Quenneville as one of the best coaches in hockey - an absolute class act.

The few times times he was able to reach the playoffs he was outstanding in them. He (together with Manny Fernandez) took an inexperienced Minnesota Wild to the Conference Finals in 2003. Then the Oilers to the Finals in 2006 and at last the Lightning to the Conference Finals in 2011 (and ended up one goal away from the finals).

I believe that the Oilers would have won the Cup that year if he had not been injured.

Roloson was a pretty good goalie in his day. And I liked that Quenneville was planning to put the backup fellow out if they were in a no-win situation. That'd be special for that lad. Another reason to think of Quenneville as one of the best coaches in hockey - an absolute class act.
Yeah, he said if the Flyers scored an empty netter, he would have put him in the game.

But yeah, these stories are cool ... they bring nice stories to what is a pretty long regular season. They Hawks did not pay him, which is why they did not use Waite due to cap issues. But it seems like they are giving him plenty of swag and making a jersey up for him .. and this guy has a story of a lifetime .. plus he coaches youth hockey, I am sure the players he coaches are thrilled for him.

Impressive, most impressive. We'll have to see if they are the real deal or just got lucky at the right part of the season.

Am I the only one not surprised that Malkin and Crosby are 1 and 2 in points?

We got to watch both outdoor games and they were amazing. Great comeback by Detroit to send it into OT only to have yet another perfect moment with Mathews scoring the game winner. And in St. Louis Tarasenko's 2 goals sealed the deal. Great hockey this year.

Funny

1994-95_pinnacle_turgeon.jpg

Patrick Kane is now tied with Sylvain Turgeon at 269 goals

That's Kane in his dad's lap in the upper right hand corner on Turgeon's card.

True, but a shot on the bench or standing on the blue line for the national anthem would be better

In any case, still really cool

the trade deadline should be interesting this year. I do not see the Hawks doing a ton .. but they could use another bottom 6 forward on their last year of a contract. Eaves from Dallas has been thrown about, I think he would be perfect, a little more punch on the second PP unit and could turn the 3rd line into a legit scoring threat playing with Kruger and Hossa or bump up to the top line with Toews ...

Back