Official Football Thread

[!--quoteo(post=133417:date=Mar 30 2006, 04:40 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 30 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]133417[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Statistic I heard the other day (not 100% certifiable truth):
12% of men would change wife before changing football club [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Just goes to show you that there are too many annoying, fanatical sports fans. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"-_-\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sleep.gif\" /] Here's what I think of them.

[!--quoteo(post=133329:date=Mar 29 2006, 06:07 PM:name=The_7th_Son)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(The_7th_Son @ Mar 29 2006, 06:07 PM) [snapback]133329[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Southend eh? I was there at the playoff semi final last year [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]
[/quote]
So how do you feel about Northampton's chances of promotion? Just had a look at the table, Wycombe and Orient a whisker behind - surely you don't want another play-off.

I'm not sure if you knew, but we were in the play-offs the season before last too! I dont want a third successive play-off attempt!! I personally think we will come second... Grimsby lost... I think it was 5-0 last Saturday and I cant see them making the top three, Wycombe have quite a few easy fixtures coming up... We are playing Peterborough tomorrow who are our local rivals!! Wish us luck!!

Its going to be a nail-biting sprint to the finish!! The Cobblers are a horrible team to support, so unpredictable! We have a quality side, but some weeks we'll beat the best team in the division and lose to the worst! The hardest teams at the minute are those fighting for survival!

SH*T ON THE 'BORO, SH*T ON THE 'BORO TONIGHT!!!

Northampton Town 1 - 0 Peterborough United

GET IN THERE!!

(They're our arch rivals)

sunderland got a point yesterday! rory delap is a true legend

im a sunderland supporter if you hadnt realised

Right! I've had enough, I'm packing it in. QPR are just too fucking useless, that they lose at home to the club bottom of the league. Without a win in six games now, haven't got a proper manager, and all (viz. two) of our good players will leave in the summer. Fantastic.

Good result The_7th_Son against Posh. And with Orient only drawing and Wycombe loosing at home!

Shrimpers now need 13 points from 18 to get automatic promotion. And they have 4 of their remaining 6 games at home. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Looks like they might be playing QPR next season, and maybe (by the sounds of it) they could enjoy 4 or 6 points. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=133753:date=Apr 2 2006, 03:01 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 2 2006, 03:01 PM) [snapback]133753[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Looks like they might be playing QPR next season, and maybe (by the sounds of it) they could enjoy 4 or 6 points. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I wouldn't be so sure! With five games to go, QPR can theoretically still finish last, let alone still go down. As you can see, I'm optimistic we can turn it round. ::

[!--quoteo(post=133790:date=Apr 2 2006, 09:16 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Apr 2 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]133790[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
QPR can theoretically still finish last, let alone still go down.[/quote]
Out of curiosity, when was the last time QPR played in the third division (in whatever guise)?

[!--quoteo(post=134104:date=Apr 6 2006, 02:18 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 6 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]134104[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Anybody anticipating the World Cup? Mexico made it so I'm pretty happy...
[/quote]
Interesting Group Mexico has.

Portugal: Good side and could top the group.
Iran: May spring a surprise but I'm not convinced they will go further than the group stages.
Angola: Again, a reasonable side but will have to really be on top form to progress.

Much like England, Mexico plays what could be their toughest game last. At this point both Mexico and Portugal should have qualified already. It would be a matter of who tops the group. But, as Greavsie would say, "it's a funny old game". Subsequently, it would not surprise me if either Portugal or Mexico had to win their last game to progress!

Then there is a little matter of meeting (very possibly) either Netherlands or Argentina in the next round!

[!--quoteo(post=134104:date=Apr 6 2006, 03:18 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 6 2006, 03:18 AM) [snapback]134104[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Anybody anticipating the World Cup?[/quote]

*sigh*

I wish I could be out of the country for that month [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":(\" border=\"0\" alt=\"sad.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134143:date=Apr 6 2006, 12:57 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 6 2006, 12:57 PM) [snapback]134143[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Much like England, Mexico plays what could be their toughest game last. At this point both Mexico and Portugal should have qualified already.
[/quote]
Football is so unpredictable these days that we can't say anything for certain... for all we know, Angola could win the World Cup ::
Greece won Euro 2004
Porto won the Champions League in 2004
Liverpool won the Champions League in 2005

You never know what will happen [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134195:date=Apr 6 2006, 04:40 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Apr 6 2006, 04:40 PM) [snapback]134195[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
for all we know, Angola could win the World Cup ::
[/quote]
Let's not get too carried away here. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

But you're right, stranger things have happened. I'm not sticking my neck out here as to what will happen, I suppose we can only go on form and overall quality of the side to say who should beat who - but even that is no indication.

[!--quoteo(post=134059:date=Apr 5 2006, 06:48 PM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 5 2006, 06:48 PM) [snapback]134059[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Out of curiosity, when was the last time QPR played in the third division (in whatever guise)?
[/quote]
Yes thanks for bringing that up! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /] It was only two years ago, I'm afraid.

[!--quoteo(post=134104:date=Apr 6 2006, 02:18 AM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 6 2006, 02:18 AM) [snapback]134104[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Anybody anticipating the World Cup? Mexico made it so I'm pretty happy...
[/quote]
Can't wait for the World Cup!! I'm very optmistic concerning England's chances.

P.S.
FAO all England fans: almost time to put the flag back on the car window! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]

Conor is right, many classic powers like Germany (sorry Perun but it's true lol) haven't exactly had strong squads lately and crazy upstarts like Japan, Korea, Iran and Iraq are proving to be more than just "happy to be here" squads.

[!--quoteo(post=134260:date=Apr 6 2006, 11:50 PM:name=Onhell)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Apr 6 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]134260[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
many classic powers like Germany (sorry Perun but it's true lol) haven't exactly had strong squads lately [/quote]
I doubt if Perun (judging by other posts of his) could care less for Klinsmans side!

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
and crazy upstarts like Japan, Korea, Iran and Iraq are proving to be more than just "happy to be here" squads.
[/quote]
It is a well used phrase - "there are no easy games in international football nowadays"

National Acrobat, I'm optimistic about Englands chances, but not overly so as I believe they could be facing either the Dutch or Argentinians in the Quarters should we get there (and I really think we would). And if they progress from there, it may well be the Brazilians next! ::

And that is assuming we win the group.

I just hope we don't get too many injuries (especially in goal). [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Well here I am again, and QPR have lost again, without a win in seven. Don't worry, I'll get fed up of complaining soon! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134281:date=Apr 7 2006, 08:01 AM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 7 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]134281[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I just hope we don't get too many injuries (especially in goal). [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]
[/quote]
I'm more worried about injuries up-front, especialy with Michael Owen still injured. If the Roon were to get injured, we really wouldn't have a chance at all. After those two, all we've got is Peter Crouch and Defoe - hardly up to the standard of Ronaldinho/Ronaldo/Adriano/Kaka etc.

[!--quoteo(post=134494:date=Apr 10 2006, 02:50 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Apr 10 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]134494[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm more worried about injuries up-front, especialy with Michael Owen still injured. If the Roon were to get injured, we really wouldn't have a chance at all. After those two, all we've got is Peter Crouch and Defoe - hardly up to the standard of Ronaldinho/Ronaldo/Adriano/Kaka etc.
[/quote]
Ronaldinho is probably the best player in the world (apart from Rooney)
Ronaldo is a fat, overrated mess - Crouch is better than him.
Adriano is good, but also overrated. I would put him on par with Defoe.
As for Kaka, I think he is good but he may not even start for Brazil, the same as Owen.

Looking at these, I would say that Brazillian and English forwards are pretty much even. The South Americans are just way overrated [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=134281:date=Apr 7 2006, 08:01 AM:name=Albie)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Albie @ Apr 7 2006, 08:01 AM) [snapback]134281[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
[/quote]

Paul Robinson will be fine, I'm with National Acrobat that the most worrying problem is that of Owen and making sure everyone else stays fit

Oh, and Conor, Ronaldo is a little tubby, but still light years ahead of Crouch (worst player Liverpool could have signed IMO)

Back