Official Beer Thread

A lot of IPAs can be really heavy and kind of hard to drink, but the good IPAs are generally my favorite beers overall.

I'm not all that familiar with the different styles or how they're made, but I know the Sierra Nevada is one of my biggest go-to's. There's also one I really like called All Day IPA by Founders Brewing. I'm not sure how widely available it is, but I believe they are based out of Michigan.

Long Hammer IPA by Red Hook is also pretty damn good.

Who do you work for? :)

Begyle Brewing in Chicago
A lot of IPAs can be really heavy and kind of hard to drink, but the good IPAs are generally my favorite beers overall.

I'm not all that familiar with the different styles or how they're made, but I know the Sierra Nevada is one of my biggest go-to's. There's also one I really like called All Day IPA by Founders Brewing. I'm not sure how widely available it is, but I believe they are based out of Michigan.

Long Hammer IPA by Red Hook is also pretty damn good.

Sierra Nevada is pretty much one of the gold standards of an IPA. Still very good, if quite piney (though not by today's standards). As for All Day IPA it seems like you can get it everywhere around Illinois these days, it's the new Anti-Hero in terms of Midwest popularity. Definitely a great beer, especially since it's (I believe) less than 5% ABV.

I dislike most modern IPAs in general. I don't like citrus beers very much - if I wanted to drink juice and get drunk, that's what screwdrivers are for. I don't actually think anyone likes those beers, and when you look into the history of IPAs and WHY they were citrusy you get the opinion that it wasn't a like, it was a necessity.

To be fair, a lot of food, drink and delicacies came out of necessity once. Then some people started to actually like the stuff and you had a new thing.

Was in Edinburgh this summer. Was surprised to find Brewdog (awesome brewery) was the same price as home, while the overly hopped (cheap) Swedish lager Pistonhead was at least twice the price as back home... (I like it, but it's the cheapest of the cheap... and the Tesco Express I was at wanted £2 for a 330ml can.)

Last edited:
To be fair, a lot of food, drink and delicacies came out of necessity once. Then some people started to actually like the stuff and you had a new thing.
Sure, and we question the wisdom of a lot of that stuff. I have tried Surströmming, and I question the intelligence of people. But yes, in general, you're right!

Not a fan of IPAs.
The craft beer industry is booming at the moment in my neck of the woods and there are a lot of worthwhile brews.

Sure, and we question the wisdom of a lot of that stuff. I have tried Surströmming, and I question the intelligence of people. But yes, in general, you're right!

Had surströmming yesterday actually. It's nice, if you don't go all American-Youtuber on it and eat the whole fish by itself. You eat it with tunnbröd with the fish, potatoes, and red onion in there. Strong alcohol to it, with some nice lager beer helps with keeping the taste balanced. It's only overpowering if you want it to be.

Had surströmming yesterday actually. It's nice, if you don't go all American-Youtuber on it and eat the whole fish by itself. You eat it with tunnbröd with the fish, potatoes, and red onion in there. Strong alcohol to it, with some nice lager beer helps with keeping the taste balanced. It's only overpowering if you want it to be.
I have had it correctly served, yes. It's not particularly overpowering when properly made, but it still tastes really, really strongly...like...um...well, rotten fish. Glad you like it, but it ain't for me.

To be fair I get told that the amount of vegimite I put on my toast is unholy so each to their own I guess! I'm a craft beer fan and not ashamed t0 say it!

Can I resurrect this? I had a marshmallow porter the other day called stay puft - Anyone had it?

Was like drinking a beer-y wagon wheel (if anyone remembers them!)
tr_kegclip_staypuft-01.png

Currently drinking Double Maxim, which is a heck of a lot nicer than I remember it as a teen. It's Sunderland's own traditional brown ale (Wearsiders wouldn't touch Newcastle Brown when I lived there), dating back to the early 1900s. It was once made at Sunderland's Vaux brewery, but after that closed in 2000, a small craft brewery acquired the rights and recipe, and started brewing it itself. It's pleasantly rich without being at all bitter.

345909011_0_640x640.jpg

Back