NOW WATCHING

They showed a 7 minute teaser of this in IMAX showings of Rogue One. The tension was unbelievable, and I absolutely want to see this film.

They showed a 7 minute teaser of this in IMAX showings of Rogue One. The tension was unbelievable, and I absolutely want to see this film.
Yeah, same. The flashes of Spitfires and 109s they showed looked incredible. They looked damn near real. I am anticipating that aspect extremely heavily.

What I’ve always enjoyed is seeing my stories serving as a launching pad of some new or adapted vision of what I’ve done. The people involved in the movie all had the latitude, which I was happy to give them, to reinvent it.

Stephen King about The Dark Tower-film, from:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...hts-on-the-trailer-it-and-cinematic-universes

Considering what we know about King and his noted criticism of Kubrick's The Shining (amongst other things), I can't help but feel this is King sneaking in devastating criticism on the film without saying it... Come on, with the exception of the ending to The Mist (2007), I've never seen him give praise to any screenwriter who've changed anything from his novels or short-stories. He likes working with guys like Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Mist), just because they adapt his stories almost word for word. Otherwise he's shown he'd rather write the screenplay himself and do a mini-series like The Stand (1994) straight for TV.

That, or the film is actually good and he's actually more open-minded in later years.

Finished Iron Fist, wish I could cleanse my mind of it's awfulness. Watched the first episode of The Handmaid's Tale...holy hell. It's so very good, and so ludicrously disturbing. I find it far more disturbing than Game of Thrones, which uses violence and sex in a shock-and-awe, popcorny, Alice Cooper kind of way. This was just far too real and raw. I'll keep watching for the quality, though.

This is a great show. The best way to describe it would be a combo of Parks & Rec and The Office. However, it's not a mockumentary and it's much less cringey than The Office, but it's still a workplace comedy. Like P&R it features a lot of recurring characters and crazy citizens/shoppers and like The Office it features a crazy boss and a Jim/Pam will-they-won't-they couple. It's really well written and they do a lot of foreshadowing/clues that go on for a long time. Season 2 finale that aired this week was stunning and the show is only getting better.

Watched Hacksaw Ridge (2016).

Fantastic war film. Didn't start out too convincing, but despite some less-than-stellar looking sequences (mainly in the first half) the story does not dip for a second. The war sequences were intense, and made me forget any kind of complaint I'd had with the build-up. Andrew Garfield was great as the WWII medic, and the rest of the cast was good - with Hugo Weaving standing out with a top performance as his PTSD-suffering father. Mel Gibson is back!

Did anyone see this?
MV5BOGI0OTRiMDEtMjZmYy00ODcyLWI0ZTctOGM4YTlhMzA3YmNkL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_UY268_CR2,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

MV5BOWVmMWFkOGMtZGI1ZC00NjQ3LTk3NzYtNjMxYTRlZDkwNGRlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjExMjk0ODk@._V1_.jpg

What a combo. I am a fan of Atkinson, and love some good ol' detectives (Maigret is a classic!)

Finished watching second season of Master of None.
It's incredible. Definitely way better than the first season in every way. Probably the most relatable show (for me) ever. There were only a few badly acted characters and they cut down on Brian who was the biggest problem of S1. Cinematography was perfect. Casting was perfect. Awesome music. Like the first season, last 2 eps were a real gut punch :( Aziz is truly a genius. He wrote and directed the last two eps and I really hope he does a feature film soon. With a little bit of exposition from previous eps, those two episodes together would really work out as a full-length movie.

I just added it to my list lol, glad to hear it's worth it.

I just watched Stranger Things. I really enjoyed it, felt like Twin Peaks on steroids.

Also been catching up on Better Call Saul. Bob Odenkirk is great as Jimmy and the way they are leading everything up to Breaking Bad is interesting.

One show I have mixed feelings about is Designated Survivor, This guy goes through in a week what no president goes through in 8 years. But it does have it's moments and the FBI subplot about the terror bombing is more interesting to me than the day to day "governing." We'll see what happens.

Iron Fist started off promising, I am getting tired of Danny and his fucking high horse, but Meachum senior is great, I keep waiting for him to say something around the lines of, "For our king! For Sparta!" lol

Watched Lost season 3 & 4.

About halfway through season 5 now, and whereas I'd seen almost all of season 3 & 4 before, this is new ground for me - and I love every bit of it.

Lost is great .. really liked that show. Very groundbreaking IMO

Started watching the Big Bang Theory .. I usually avoid popular sitcoms because I generally end up disliking them .. but man, this is a really funny show

Just saw Alien Covenant. Much better than Prometheus. Great job by Michael Fassbender. More of a return to form for the franchise. Bad thing is Ridley Scott is 78 years old. Talks about how he can keep making more films before the story links up with 1st Alien film. Doubt he'll live long enough...

Went and saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2

Not bad, I liked the first one much better. But still a pretty fun movie

A while back in the Now Reading thread, I mentioned the Vince Flynn series of novels about CIA assassin Mitch Rapp. Now there is a movie about him:

Watched Lost season 5.

Definitely the season with my favourite episodes so far. The actors are getting better and better with the so-so ones having been written out and replaced and the story is actually moving along.

"LaFleur" is my favourite episode - Sawyer cemented as the best character. And Doug Hutchison steals every scene he's in, absolutely brilliant performance. The character actors in this series might be even more interesting than the leads, maybe with the exception of Sawyer. I want to see more of Fahey, Hutchison, Flanagan, Chau, and the like.

Watched Lost season 5.

Definitely the season with my favourite episodes so far. The actors are getting better and better with the so-so ones having been written out and replaced and the story is actually moving along.

"LaFleur" is my favourite episode - Sawyer cemented as the best character. And Doug Hutchison steals every scene he's in, absolutely brilliant performance. The character actors in this series might be even more interesting than the leads, maybe with the exception of Sawyer. I want to see more of Fahey, Hutchison, Flanagan, Chau, and the like.
Oh, wow. I thought 5 is significantly worse compared to previous ones, but good for you (I mean it).
Loved the Jacob episode, though.

I stopped my rewatch at season 3 some time ago, but need to get back to it.

Watched Drive (2011). I'm not much of a car guy but I liked the premise of the movie and I like Ryan Gosling. It was a mostly enjoyable film but I feel like it could've been so much more. At 1h40min of duration it had about an hour worth of content. It could've been longer and more action-packed because the way it is, the ending felt rushed and unnatural. I wanted Gosling to do some more getaway scenes because the beginning was awesome. Some of the scenes seemed improbable from a crime/gangster flick viewpoint. Superb acting though, and a superb soundtrack (College & Electric Youth - A Real Hero).

ryan-gosling-drive-jacket.jpg

Back