NOW WATCHING

The original It still haunts me. It must be because I was a child back then and, goodness, that was the scariest thing I'd seen! (Okay, maybe on par with Bob from Twin Peaks) I'm really curious to see what it might do to me as an adult.

I really wonder how the new version will take care of the book - especially since the themes, athmosphere and the overall meaning is not really easy to put to screen.

BTW, seen Gladiator, A Man for All Seasons (the original 1966 version) and Therese (1986) lately. The only highlight (and the reason for my current avatar) was AMFAS - a wonderful story, clever and resonant. St. Thomas More was a gentleman and a scholar, if there ever was one. I have seen Gladiator for the first time and I admit I was pretty underwhelmed. Yep, the ending is a regular tearjerker, but especially the first third of the movie is pretty bad, IMHO. The actors behave weirdly, even Crowe whom I love, the screenplay is often heavy-handed and full of clichés and in general I somehow regretted I haven't seen the movie in high school as many people around me have.I might just still be under the spell of Ben Hur that did all of that 50 years earlier, but still. Without Zimmer, I wonder whether I would feel any emotions at all until the very end.

Therese is just... weird. From the filmmaking point of view, actually, possibly also from the theological point of view... pretty much generally. It was very interesting and unusual movie, that's for sure, and it quite aptly managed to convey the whole "mystic" stuff, but it's not my favourite and I definitely won't be coming back to it anytime soon.

... so, you like gladiator movies

52372638.jpg

Watching Lost.

I watched it on and off during the time it was first aired (up through the last season, I think), but now we've decided to watch the whole thing. About halfway through season 1.

Watching Lost.

I watched it on and off during the time it was first aired (up through the last season, I think), but now we've decided to watch the whole thing. About halfway through season 1.

I have watched it a few times .. some rough moments (see Season 3) .. but overall an incredibly good show

an interesting way to do a rewatch of the show .. and someone with a ton of time on his hand

http://www.chronologicallylost.com/

I love Lost, watched it all when it was originally on air. This kind of gripping narrative was like nothing I had seen before. The cliffhangers were crazy. Nowadays various series got us used to this kind of stuff, but back then it was fresh (at least to me). I introduced my sister to Lost a couple of moths ago, so we watched 2 seasons and took a break. It was a lot of fun to revisit it and see the reaction of someone who was watching it for the first time.

As for the weaker moments, I'd say it's season 5 and 6 when
things got a little too supernatural. I don't remember the details anymore, but the ending arc was disappointing.
Nonetheless, watching seasons 1-4 is a rewarding experience in itself IMO. And even the weaker seasons have at least some cool redeeming moments.

The Walking Dead season 7 finale.

This season was really frustrating. They spend the entire season building up towards this epic war against Negan and the Saviors, and nothing gets resolved. Don't get me wrong, the battle scenes in the finale were awesome, but this should have happened like 7 episodes ago. There hasn't really been any progression at all of the storyline over the 2nd half of the season.

I'm afraid that they are turning Negan into The Governor 2.0; Interesting character, but stuck around for waay too long.

Also, Sasha's death was probably the least emotionally-impactful main character death in the history of the show. I just never cared about her character at all, and am kind of glad she's gone. The only character I'd be even happier to see killed off is the priest.

True that, this season was super slow. I'm not gonna give up on the show (again), but they need to pick up the pace.

Negan is way more awesome than The Governor.

Sasha's death was probably the least emotionally-impactful main character death in the history of the show.
Andrea?

The only character I'd be even happier to see killed off is the priest.
Come on, he's much better now :p

#1 person I wanna see get killed is Morgan.

Negan is a fantastic character and well acted, imo. He's so utterly despicable, that's incredibly hard to portray. I'd love to see him repeatedly run over by a large truck, but I'm absolutely sure he's not going to get killed off like that.

What I think was missing in the finale/buildup was a much bigger twist, a real mindfuck moment. The betrayal didn't mean much, and wasn't even entirely a surprise, because there was no real relationship with the trash people. I'd like to think Negan would have been several steps ahead of everyone, including Sasha (and Eugene, for supplying the suicide pill), and could only be undermined by something extremely unexpected. Critics seem to be rating the unexceptional shootout as the highlight.

Saw Ghost in the Shell last night. Wasn't as nearly as bad as many of the reviews made it out to be. The plot was the weak point (a predictable Robocop meets Bourne mashup), but the aesthetics/visuals were amazing (as a fan of the original version, they did a great job capturing the world). Too bad the movie bombed and there's zero chance of a sequel to explore the theme in greater/more sophisticated detail.

I watched The Accountant on the plane yesterday .. I really enjoyed it until the last 5 minutes ... they went way over the top with a really sappy ending IMO. Up to that point, a pretty fun movie

Back