NOW WATCHING

Makes me wonder do we have stand up comedy fans here? Bill Burr is probably my favorite comic at the moment.
I'm a big time stand up enthusiast. :)

I agree with you in regards to Bill Burr's new special. I enjoyed it very much and I'd put him near the top of my list of favorite comedians, but it wasn't quite as good as some of his other specials. I think part of the problem was with the crowd. His material was still pretty damn good, but the audience didn't seem to react very well or laugh as much/hard as they probably should have, and that seemed to hinder the show as a whole.

In addition to Burr, (I also love Louis C.K. and Doug Stanhope as well) some of my other favorites are: Jim Jefferies, Christopher Titus, Demetri Martin, Brian Regan, and Hannibal Buress.

I agree with you in regards to Bill Burr's new special. I enjoyed it very much and I'd put him near the top of my list of favorite comedians, but it wasn't quite as good as some of his other specials. I think part of the problem was with the crowd. His material was still pretty damn good, but the audience didn't seem to react very well or laugh as much/hard as they probably should have, and that seemed to hinder the show as a whole.

I think the highs of the special were very high, like the gorilla befriending cat bit, but timing on some of the bits were just off. Hitler/Stalin bit went far too long, as did the fat people bit.

It felt a bit too much like his rambling rants on the Monday Morning Podcast.

I'm currently watching American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson on Netflix. I was pretty young when the OJ case was happening, so I can't speak to the accuracy of this miniseries, but I will say that it is extremely compelling so far. It's got some great performances from a star-filled cast, although I'm not completely sold on Cuba Gooding Jr as OJ.

Anyone watching The Expanse? Last night's ep was heartbreaking :(

Yes, but via Netflix. Won't get season 2 until it's original run on Syfy is over I guess. A more than decent adaptation of lackluster books. Really looking forward to see if they'll keep it up.

Do we really need a corporate version of King Kong? I can't see anything in this trailer that I haven't seen before in any of the existing Kong films.

Cinematic universes are the big thing these days. But at least Godzilla in a "monsterverse" has a history, if you're a classic Godzilla fan.

Cinematic universes are the big thing these days.

I know, and it bothers me a bit. Of course I'm not saying this is the death of art, but if you look at that King Kong trailer, there is absolutely nothing in it that I've never seen before. Everything, from the giant CGI ape to the quirky awkwardness of the characters has been done to death. And if you look at the CGI of this film compared to Peter Jackson's King Kong, it doesn't look like there are 10+ years of technological development in between. We've reached a point where CGI doesn't get any better and still looks fake. From a non-commercial point of view, this film, along with the entire monsterverse it's embedded in, has no reason to exist.

We've reached a point where CGI doesn't get any better and still looks fake
I disagree wholeheartedly. We've reached a point where the CGI masterpieces of 10 years ago (12 really) can be accomplished for a tenth of the price, and that's the real difference. Good CGI, the expensive stuff, the stuff in movies like Rogue One and Warcraft, is getting better and better.

From a non-commercial point of view, this film, along with the entire monsterverse it's embedded in, has no reason to exist.
The Monsterverse is almost surely a corporate concoction from a studio trying to catch the MCU/SWU wave. But that doesn't mean that the movie has no reason to exist other than making money. I'm not saying that it's going to be a masterpiece, or even good, but I am saying that there's a chance someone is working on the film from an attempt to create art. Might be a single graphic designer, or a prop person, or the lady playing the violin in the soundtrack. But there's still value there. It might not be value to Perun - by all means, feel free not to watch the movie - but there is value.

Besides, making money is a very good reason to exist.

Maybe I went a bit too far, but I still don't see anything in this trailer that I haven't seen before. I do not anticipate a story that we haven't been told before, nor one that is told from an original or unique new angle. That's what bothers me.

Back