NOW WATCHING

After nearly 11 years, I gathered the courage to watch The Da Vinci Code again. And it's still utter shit. I just can't get over all the nonsense and the general stupidity (the movie's even worse than the book, IMHO). And no, it's not because of the theme. I could take on a poorly researched film full of historical and theological bullshit, if it was actually a good movie. As the story already supports that, it could have been another Bourne, or another Children of Men - the frantic, hand-cam, runaway movie where the protagonists actually have to think on the run and invent creative solutions at the spur of the moment. But no, it's a 2 1/2 hour stupid bore full of exposition that makes no sense and very little action. I will admit the pros, though - 1.) Audrey Tautou is really cute, even if I'm not already in the drooling phase anymore, 2.) Bettany is fun to watch here, 3.) the kicks/nudges it gives to Opus Dei (a controversial organisation, though absolutely nothing as depicted in the movie, I may add) are fun to watch for a Catholic, I guess, but more of an in-joke, I'm afraid, 4.) the Rolex scene was actually good and clever, 5.) Zimmer's score, though stealing from everywhere it could, was appropriately epic, 6.) connected with No 5, the final scene with the discovery of the MM's body was quite nice. Nonsensical (shit, how much attention has to be paid to the glass monstrosity before Louvre anyway? - at least the movie does away with that "666 panels" stupidity from the book), but noticeably better than most of the movie.

Last edited:
Not sure! It is not a genre I have ever made a list about, apart from a wishlist and a to see list.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers
didn't impress me very much. Hard to say why. Maybe too predictable.

Quatermass 2
and Village of the Damned could be high on the list, but I need to delve a bit into what I have seen. By the way, I realize I still need to see many films (e.g. It Came from Outer Space), also some very known ones. Seconds (1966) is high on my Sci-Fi wishlist. To be continued. I'll probably get back in the Classic Cinema topic, if you do not mind.

Going to see The Lego Batman Movie tomorrow. Stupid cinema only has morning and afternoon screenings for a film like this SMH. I know it's a cartoon, but still...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5114356/

Just finished watching the premiere of this. It was awesome in every way possible. Dan Stevens will get many awards for his role. Cinematography was stunning, so many beautiful shots.

The only downside is that I read some theories on Reddit and it seems pretty easy to figure it all out if you know Legion's backstory. I would suggest y'all to avoid reading theories and just watch the show if you don't wanna get spoiled.

Going to see The Lego Batman Movie tomorrow. Stupid cinema only has morning and afternoon screenings for a film like this SMH. I know it's a cartoon, but still...

What did you think of Lego Batman? Just saw it with my son. Like the Lego Movie, it was a shameless 90 minute commercial for toys...but it is still funny and has its' moments. Because of their presence in the 2nd and 3rd Lego Batman games (and also the movie poster), I was not surprised to see the Justice League make an appearance, but what did surprise me was
the other properties that Warner Bros owns appearing: Kong, Lord Voldemort, Gremlins, Wicked Witch, Kraken, Sauron, Super Friends, and others I cannot remember
. This is a film I would recommend to parents who want a lighter hearted Batman film for the kids. It was a good family film as far as the message that no-one can be a loner forever.

After the non stop pop music in the Lego Movie, it was a nice change to have this film open up with some Metal!

Would a stand up special fit this thread? Well, I just finished watching Bill Burr's new special. Not as good as his previous specials, felt like he rehashed a lot of his points. I'm an avid follower of his Monday Morning Podcast as well, didn't really hear anything that I didn't already hear there.

Makes me wonder do we have stand up comedy fans here? Bill Burr is probably my favorite comic at the moment. Love Louis C.K. and Dave Chappelle but think they're a bit too PC nowadays. Doug Stanhope hasn't really been that active but when he is he's fantastic. Discovering Joe Rogan through his podcasts on YouTube, good stuff, probably gonna check out his material. Planning on checking out some Dave Attell later on.

Back