1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOW READING

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Dec 4, 2003.

1. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

Kubrick tries to make you think it's the hotel that drives him insane, but it doesn't really...work.

2. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

In that case they should have picked someone else to play the role of the father than Jack Nicholson. Don't know if it's the way Nicholson acts/is but the father is peculiar from the get go...

3. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

It has been argued that Nicholson's character was highly abusive towards his family even before the events of the film, which makes the whole thing more their story than his.

4. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Educated Fool

He'd been abusive towards his son before the events of the book as well iirc.

5. JudasMyGuide

JudasMyGuide Trumpet him melodiously at first

If I understand it correctly, in the book the hotel is a rather bad place where many dreadful things have happened in the past (and their recollections haunt the place forever), but Jack's alcoholism/obsessive tendencies are symptoms of a bigger evil in Jack himself which the hotel helps to bring to the surface. But without Overlook, he might have been a drunk and an occasionaly violent person, but still within borders. I believe that after that incident with Danny's hand, he was more than willing to really do his best and become a better person. And that he might have even succeeded. Well, he did in the end, in a way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. JudasMyGuide

Just finished "Robert Galbraith's" The Silkworm. Just like with Cuckoo, I absolutely loved it. In fact, it was probably even better. Even though I suspected some of the twists in advance, the discovery of the meanings of the novel itself made it a rather clever "detective story within a detective story", IMHO.

7. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Self-propelled artillery Staff Member

I think The Silkworm was the strongest of the three so far. Still, looking forward to the next Galbraith book.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Forced to read a couple of classic Turkish novels for one of my classes. Just read Saatleri Ayarlama Enstitüsü (The Time Regulation Institute) by Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar. It's quite a brilliant novel actually, aside from a dull beginning. Nice, delicate sense of humour. Great take on deceit, manipulation and fraud. The quick spreading of lies and made up stories, how they can be twisted and turned into creating fascinating fake legends and packaging alone can help you force-feed consumers into a false state of need for something they actually don't need.

It's probably have been translated into English, I saw a review of it on New York Times.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Forostar likes this.
  9. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

:nonono:

10. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Hey, it happens.

Forostar likes this.
  11. JudasMyGuide

Now reading: Saint Augustine - Confessions

12. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

I have a copy of that. I once opened it up at a random page and gave it to a friend to read without him knowing what it was. His first response: "Is this by Khomeini?"

13. Cornfed Hick

Cornfed Hick Electric Eye

Just finished Book II. Book I was cryptic and weird, and had pretensions of being more literary than it really was. But it was mercifully short. Book II was a much better read and I'm looking forward to starting Book III shortly. I'm kind of on a Stephen King kick. I read The Stand and The Shining since Thanksgiving, in addition to the first two Dark Tower books. Agree with the recent statements about The Shining -- the movie greatly changes the story and the vibe. For example:
    in the book, the good side of Jack takes over the possessed side just long enough to spare/save Danny; whereas in the movie Jack is murderous until the end.

14. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Book III is my favourite, along with the final one.
    The Gunslinger was written a very long time ago, so naturally King wasn't that convincing back then.

15. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

It's a very fair criticism of The Gunslinger, but I still love the book - it really got my imagination going and the piece of mysticism at the end is still pretty impressive. It makes me think of Star Maker by Stapledon. As it stands though, even the revised edition would be better as a stand alone work.

16. JudasMyGuide

I have all seven books in my library since they came out in Czech, but The Gunslinger has already discouraged me twice. I would really like to read the series, though, since everyone goes crazy about it.

17. JudasMyGuide

BTW, currently reading:

Herbert - Chapterhouse: Dune
    Dostoyevsky - Brothers Karamazov
    Tolkien - LOTR (in English)
    St. Augustine - Confessions

It usually helps to have more books at hand. Once you get tired of the first, you move on to the second and so on. Definitely improves my reading experience.

18. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

One of the most impressive things about The Dark Tower is how it puts everything in perspective. The books were written over decades and they actually give a great insight not only of King's development as craftsman but also as a person. While reading, mostly the last two books, it feels as if one gains a more personal perspective of what he was going through in his life. At some point the lines between fiction and biography blur and the reader can really sense why The Dark Tower is King's most majestic achievement and what it meant to him.

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  19. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I heard it was one of his least representative works. I guess that's the genre, especially?

20. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

It depends on how you define representative. Maybe if you're thinking of works like Cujo and It, it is different indeed. But to me The Dark Tower is King himself.