Norwegian terror attacks

A memorial concert has just been held in downtown Oslo. From what police says, around 50 000 have shown up.

Bruce Springsteen, who held a sold-out show in Valle Hovin yesterday (Maiden played that venue in 2008), made a "surprise" entrance during tonight's memorial concert. "Surprise" in quotes because it had been rumoured that he would take part. But anyway, a moving concert. (I heard most of it on radio as I was driving back to Oslo after spending the weekend elsewhere).

Just now, even the weather is like it was a year ago ...

.... I have only seen reports about him not being insane. It was more about fundamentalism and intense ambition and hate. (Naturally I don't count Fox News and other Christian sponsored US media who denied he had anything to do with their religion).

These are matters which should not be cast aside. Sane people can do such things. .....

Of course it was a guess but it looks like I estimated it correctly. Here is the outcome:

Anders Behring Breivik: Norway court rules him sane
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19365616

_62467183_62467182.jpg

Breivik smiled as the judgement was read out

Well, given his own testimony, it sounds like he's "just" a sociopathic fascist. Hopefully he actually serves the entire sentence (if not longer) because this guy really is a danger to society.

I find it unlikely that Breivik will ever get out of prison. I expect that in 21 years, he will face a review board, give that arrogant smirk, and then he'll be tossed right back in.

He scares me. He really scares me. Christian terrorism scares the bejesus out of me.

The verdict is probably in line with what most wanted to see. The sentence is not a normal prison sentence, and LC - you are right. He will face a board which is to decide whether he is to be released, and if he is still deemed dangerous he will stay in prison for a new 5-year period, and then another, until he is no longer deemed to be dangerous to society. Given the effort he has taken to carry out his attacks, I can't see how any panel will dare to release him until he is an old, weak man.

However, the trial will rise some questions for the juridical and legislative system in Norway:

• Should we re-introduce life imprisonment as a possible punishment? A maximum prison sentence of 21 years seems laughable for mass murder.
  • The role of psychiatrists as experts in trials. The court's verdict ended up following the lines of the second psychiatric assessment, but normally there will be only one. A second opinion was only retrieved because of massive public debate after the first report was leaked to the media.
  • The role of the insanity defense as such. If a psychosis is unrelated to the crime, should the criminal still go free? Today, a psychotic can not be sentenced to prison in Norway. This may change as well.
Even though no one will appeal this verdict, and the trial is over, the discussions will carry on for months and possibly years ...

Back