1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No More Lies

Discussion in 'Dance Of Death' started by LooseCannon, Feb 8, 2004.

?

How good is No More Lies on a scale of 1-10?

1. 10

12.1%
  2. 9

9.1%
  3. 8

42.4%
  4. 7

18.2%
  5. 6

6.1%
  6. 5

9.1%
  7. 4

3.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. hurtloam

hurtloam Prowler

This is the song that got me into Iron Maiden.

I love this song, but I think mostly from an Aspergers perspective. I don't like lies and I find people very confusing. I hate second guessing what peole say. I am always quite a straight forward person. So the chorus just captured my attention. I would love there to be no more lies, but yeah I know that the song probably isn't about rejoicing in a lie free utopia.

Maybe I'm just far to lazy for lies. It's less hassle to tell the truth.

Brigantium likes this.
  2. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

The opener of my favourite Maiden three-in-a-row. I really liked hurtloam's thoughts (above) on NML. Cut the bullshit, end the pretences, because in the grand scheme of things it's futile. As I must have said a dozen times already on Maidenfans, DOD as an album is full of looking at things in retrospect, perhaps even looking at the present from a theoretical future standpoint. It's not simply taking a step back to look, though, there's an impending threat or fear of judgement. I find that same weighty sense of foreboding present in The Book of Souls, too, the first disc in particular.

Following on the discussion earlier in this thread and in the IM Commentary, the first image that came to my mind too was the image of the Last Supper, but with a vague threat of vengeance in there. I disagree with the Commentary on the intro sounding specifically Celtic, though. It sounds reminiscent of some 16th/early 17th Century music, maybe courtly dances - same with the title track. I especially like the run of distinct solos in this song, each adds something new.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

After two straightforward rockers, we get something a bit more unique for Maiden signaling that this album will be more on the experimental side. The main melodies are really cool and this song has a great build up. Unfortunately I don't go back to this song often because I feel there aren't enough interesting things to justify its length. The chorus is a bit unimaginative and boring. It works well as a climax in its first appearance, but by the end the song seems to lose steam.

On the plus side, the three guitar attack is still new here and we get an early three way guitar duel. :shred:

It's a prototype for later reunion era gems and is interesting on that merit, but it has since become a bit forgettable to me for the same reason.

4. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

No More Lies, or as I call it, The song that gets expanded into The Final Frontier album. 7/10. Chorus is great to sing to.

5. BeThyJames

BeThyJames Trooper

Superb moody intro and I love the way it builds to the chorus. Really powerful and punchy chorus too. The repetition kind of suits the song but I agree by the end you are kind of wanting it to divert in another direction somehow. Blistering solo too.

6. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

10/10

No More Lies is the first of many epics on the album. An emotional triumph from the Celtic vibes of the opening crawl to a chorus that screams to the sky with blasts of pure energy. Similar to the title track from Brave New World, this song features a brilliant texture from three guitarists, who all play different licks to help round out Steve Harris’ bass. Bruce lulls us in with a soothing tone, singing lyrics about eschewing regrets in the face of death, and then proceeds to rip your face off with raw power during the repetitive chorus. In any other song this chorus could have been stilted and boring, but every time Bruce belts the song title it sounds like a powerful and desperate declaration. The bridge is fantastic, a classic Maiden piece with all three guitarists dueling away. It is truly amazing that with so much music going on around them, Adrian, Dave, and Janick all manage to retain their own unique phrasing while contributing to the greater sound of the band. Bruce’s spine-tingling vocal runs at the end of the songs evoke the likes of Dio, grand and bluesy and utterly fantastic.

7. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 Come to the Sabbath

It's a good song, but not a great song. 7/10.

8. Poto

Poto Educated Fool

I have always liked this one. Some might think it's repetitive, but they just don't get it. The chorus gets better every time Bruce sings "no more lies". Each of the guitarists do terrific solos as well.

8/10