Nicko McBrain

And that grants him 20th position among best drummers that ever lived? Nonsense.

No, did not mean to say that. Only that Ulrich is owed more cred than he is given. He's the resident punching bag for metal drummers.

Depends how you determine "Best"...Having a good musical ear and knowing how to do the song justice is very important. Ulrich is pretty good in that regard. Lars plays from ear to what Hetfield is doing. Like how Nicko and Steve plays off each other.

Anyways, these type of lists are popularity contests basically....Grohl at 9? Only because he happened to be in Nirvana and everyone loves him and Foo Fighters :) I love his drumming and he is a hard hitter - but his punky rock drumming has/is being done by thousands of grunge/punk rock drummers the world over since the 80s.

Last edited:
From a few years back: Nicko with Tim "Ripper" Owens and Doug Aldrich at the Marshall 50 years of loud event, doing Flight of Icarus:
other angle (and sound)
@Yax (seen this?)

@Saapanael
Your hero with Nicko:

Funny when he did that NOTB thingy. What's with the headphones though?

Here Nicko joins in the end, everybody doing Smoke on the Water. One of the few times, or even only time, that he ever played with another drummer?
Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple/Black Sabbath)
Joe Satriani (Chickenfoot/Deep Purple/G3)
Yngwie Malmsteen (G3)
Tim 'Ripper' Owens (Judas Priest)
Doug Aldrich (Whitesnake)
Paul Gilbert (G3)
Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
And Al Murray on cymbals!
22/09/12

Last edited:
I don't think the cameraman understood what was going on - at least a great job from his side at not filming Nicko even for 1 second ;)

Speed of Light? Wow! A Maiden song played before Maiden plays it? Good to see Flight of Icarus. I really hope this one returns in the Maiden set as well.

This is how Nicko keeps the muscles warm, The McBrainiacs, from last February. Terrible camera work. ;)
But good sound! And a lovely opening track! Enjoy:

edit: Note the huge reflection of Nicko's ride cymbal! You see (the shadow of his) playing on it as well!
@CriedWhenBrucieLeft they have a bassist who could go straight into Primus! Check The Trooper, 2nd song.

Last edited:
I've come across something... Nicko is scheduled to play in Miami at Guitar Gods festival (drummer co-headlining at guitar event?!?) with Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen.
http://eddietrunk.com/guitar-gods-f...take-place-in-miami-florida-on-february-19th/

Now here is some speculation... This festival is taking place on Feb. 19th. The tour starts on 24th. Can this be a warm-up concert for IM since they haven't played for more than a year? They will all be in Florida for rehearsals, for at least 14 days prior to the begining of tour. I know they haven't done a warm-up concert in ages. But the more I watch the dates more suspicious I am that Nick could play this concert with Maiden as his band. I believe there is a strong possibility that this concert will feature a short Maiden set with 6 or so songs, to dust-off the touring machine. Also the days of undercover gigs with silly names are over because of the internet, so this is the only way to go.

What do you think?

Back