New song, studio recorded drums

Yax

Ancient Mariner
Alright, here's a song I recorded for class - or well: We we're supposed to carry out a smaller recording project. We had four hours in the studio and three hours to mix scheduled.

I decided to put "real" drums on a song I recorded last summer. Then I mixed it on a digital Yamaha desk, allowed to only use the onboard effects (which weren't that good compared to the plugins and the rack of effects in the other control room) in a very funny room - The acoustics were weird - For instance, the sharp transients around 2:39 in the lead guitar was not audible during the mix session. Anyways, this is the result.

http://soundcloud.com/yax90/inst
Unfortunately I placed the cymbal mikes a tad bit too close - I forgot about them being condensator mikes. I decided against compressing them though.  Gonna remix it later at home to try and improve them a bit - But you can't polish a turd that much, the damage is already done.

Very nice guitar work. I like that sound and build-up as well.  :ok:

If I may have a point of criticism, the timing of the drums doesn't sound that good at times. I think some hits come too early or too late. It comes across as a bit messy. I understand that you were under a time scheme, and if this is not your best quality, I can imagine this result.

Was this programmed? If you use a monitor and see where you place the notes (beats) it might improve your work.

No, these are live drums recorded with 16 microphones. played by a guy at school. I did trigger the bass drum though (and snare, but I blended the recorded and triggered snare) by inserting MIDI markers on the bass drum track and created a sampled track out of it.

The timing problem might be partially my editings fault: The drummer hadn't listened to the track that much before, so he came off beat in some places etc so this drum track consists of three takes edited into one. I will take a look at the editing to see if I can tighten it up a bit later.

Back