New forum problems

SinisterMinisterX

Illuminatus
Staff member
The purpose of this thread is to collect all problems we have with the new forum in one place so RW can fix them.

Please be patient with RW as he does so; he has a life outside this forum, and it's unreasonable to expect him to fix everything overnight.

1. The only Commentary forum visible from the main menu is the French forum, though the others can be reached by the "jump to" option.Fixed.
2. Moderator forum not viewable by moderators (at least, not by SMX and Perun) Fixed.
3. Madness forum is boosting post count, according to Conor. Fixed by Maverick.
4. Some of the links to adjust my profile aren't showing up (thus my missing avatar).

I don't want to be complaining too much but a couple of things are annoying me:
No "quick reply" button can be seen.
There is a character limit in the signatures and when I try and edit the sig, something strange happens.  The scroll bar won't let me see what part i'm trying to edit.
[flash=200,200]http://videodownloader.net/get/?url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=YPkCLNeS7yk[/flash]

PS, testing flash... nope, I don't know how to get it working ???

SinisterMinisterX said:
2. Moderator forum not viewable by moderators (at least, not by SMX and Perun)
It's not viewable for the news team either anymore.

I also seem to have access to part of the admin center (member groups, registration and ban list). Am I supposed to have that or has some mistake been made?

You should see the admin forum now, Shadow. As for the permissions, I'll let Real World decide...

SinisterMinisterX said:
The purpose of this thread is to collect all problems we have with the new forum in one place so RW can fix them.

Please be patient with RW as he does so; he has a life outside this forum, and it's unreasonable to expect him to fix everything overnight.

1. The only Commentary forum visible from the main menu is the French forum, though the others can be reached by the "jump to" option.Fixed.
2. Moderator forum not viewable by moderators (at least, not by SMX and Perun) Fixed.
3. Madness forum is boosting post count, according to Conor. Fixed by Maverick.
4. Some of the links to adjust my profile aren't showing up (thus my missing avatar).

Which links aren't showing up?

spalec said:
Certain BB tags don't appear to be working, all the old quotes have turned into gibberish.
I'm aware of that. It should work fine on new posts but all posts imported from the old board including signatures are beyond repair sadly

Conor said:
I don't want to be complaining too much but a couple of things are annoying me:
No "quick reply" button can be seen.
There is a character limit in the signatures and when I try and edit the sig, something strange happens.  The scroll bar won't let me see what part i'm trying to edit.
[flash=200,200]http://videodownloader.net/get/?url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=YPkCLNeS7yk[/flash]

PS, testing flash... nope, I don't know how to get it working ???
Didn't notice the lack of quick reply. If you select Look and Layout Preferences in the user cp you can turn quick reply on and off
The character limit was intentional. Perhaps its a little harsh at 500 characters? I'll let the others decide :)
Flash can't be embedded in posts (despite there being a flahs button) as its a security risk

Shadow said:
It's not viewable for the news team either anymore.

I also seem to have access to part of the admin center (member groups, registration and ban list). Am I supposed to have that or has some mistake been made?
Can you see and post in it now? The permissions system is taking some getting used to
I think thats intentional. I don't think theres too much there you shouldnt be allowed to see or change

Yeah, I can see it now.

I've checked the admin center and what I seem to be able to do is censor words, activate new members, add and edit usergroups and ban people.

I still can't access any part of my profile except the account related settings though.

I think there is a problem with the polls in the commentary section (at least).  I can't cast a vote or even view the results.  Maybe this is only happening for me?

Real World said:
all posts imported from the old board including signatures are beyond repair sadly
I guess if you have the time and were that bothered by it you could modify all your posts using the new syntax.

Albie said:
I guess if you have the time and were that bothered by it you could modify all your posts using the new syntax.

:blink: Those smilies don't exist anymore, Silky  :(
That would be quite ridiculous.  I say just leave it as it is-if you really want to change the quotes from important posts (like analyses in the commentary), it wouldn't take that long.  But all your posts?  I don't even think Real World has that much time to spend on this sit ;)e!

Silky said:
That would be quite ridiculous.  I say just leave it as it is-if you really want to change the quotes from important posts (like analyses in the commentary), it wouldn't take that long.  But all your posts?  I don't even think Real World has that much time to spend on this sit ;)e!
I didn't mean for RW to modify them or indeed any other mod, but each member could do it themselves. But only if they were that bothered by it.

Albie said:
I didn't mean for RW to modify them or indeed any other mod, but each member could do it themselves. But only if they were that bothered by it.

To be honest, I don't think any member cares enough to do that.
Well, nearly no members... (*drifts towards 'edit' function on old posts*) :D
And these smilies make me want to break things.  They're too ditzy and small, and, and....they're the wrong shade of yellow!  Grrr.... >:[

Real World said:
Which links aren't showing up?
According to the help pages, when I view my profile I'm supposed to see links that say (in the "Modify Profile" section):

Account Related Settings
Forum Profile Information
Look and Layout Preferences
Notifications and Email
Personal Message Options

But the only one of these I get is the first one.

Back