Musicians Please Answer My Question

Hi all,
I'm interested to play Iron Maiden songs on guitar, but I just don't have any musical knowledge and for the instrument i have an acoustical guitar which was my sister's left away and I can't buy another guitar (electrical) for some reasons yet, so what do you suggest me to do? How can I learn for Bass Guitar while I have an acoustical guitar ?? PLEASE help me , and I also need a free website to learn guitars.
PS:I don't understand what is a bass guitar?? Is it those electric guitars? what are the differences between the instrument of Steve Harris and the other bands guitarists?
thanks!

A bass guitar is like a regular guitar, but an octave(is it an octave? correct me if I'm wrong) lower.
Also, the strings and neck are bigger and there are only 4.

If you wanna learn bass, I suggest you get a bass guitar. If not, the acoustic can be enough to practice for a couple of months. The lower 4 strings are the same, only an octave higher.
I guess the basic techniques can be learned on a regular guitar.

Mega said:
A bass guitar is like a regular guitar, but an octave(is it an octave? correct me if I'm wrong) lower.
Also, the strings and neck are bigger and there are only 4.

If you wanna learn bass, I suggest you get a bass guitar. If not, the acoustic can be enough to practice for a couple of months. The lower 4 strings are the same, only an octave higher.
I guess the basic techniques can be learned on a regular guitar.
Another question about bass guitars: Are bass guitars electrical or acoustical?
And please suggest the best bass guitar for me for learning bass guitar.
Thanks a lot!

Most bass guitars are electric. There are some acoustic basses but I don't see the point.

And about the specifics I have no clue, I'm a guitarist myself. You'll have to wait for a bassist to answer that.

I think I'm interested in electric bass guitars. Because my cousin is learning electric guitar and I don't like to play the same instrument.
Bassist please guide me.
Cheers!

+1 on Rondo. Their Agile line is fantastic for the price. They're probably the best kept secret in guitars at the moment.

Get the cheapest bass and amp you can find. Don't even worry about quality, as long as its playable. My first bass/amp combo was $150 used, found in the want ads of the local paper. A Gorilla amp and a Vantage bass. The Vantage bass was great, and I wish I'd never sold it.

So now you got a bass and amp. Here are your priorities, and you're not done spending money yet.

1. Buy a tuner. I'm sure you can find a cheap one. I have this Boss pedal and recommend it, but it's $100. Now learn to tune your bass. Learn the names of the parts. Headstock, nut, bridge, pots, jack, etc. Go to your local guitar store, ask the pros for maintenance tips. (Big and important subject, but I'm trying to be brief.)

2. Buy a metronome. Use it whenever you practice. Religiously. Play as slow as you need to in order to stay on the beat. Work your speeds up a bit at a time.

3. Learn the names of the notes on the bass. If I say "what's 8th fret on the D string?", your correct reply of "B flat" should be instantaneous. If I say "show me all the F-sharps on the bass, you have ten seconds, go!", then can you do it?
E string, 2nd and 14th frets
A string, 9ths and 21st frets
D string, 4th and 16th frets
G string, 11th and 23rd frets

4. Learn how to play major and minor scales, both diatonic and pentatonic. Just look up those words on the web, you'll find out. They're the scales that 99% of rock music is based on.

5. Learn the 12-bar blues and be able to play it in any key. I don't mean you have to solo, just hold down the chord roots and play 8th notes. Knowing the chord sequence is the most important thing.

6. Join a band. Absolutely the best thing you can do to improve your playing, after you have a bit of foundation built.

Hi all bassist  :shred: !
Do you suggest to have that acoustic guitar? Or I should sell it and pay it's money on a bass guitar?
Please post here the required tips that I should care when I'm buying a bass guitar to prevent a fraud from a seller.I'll not change my guitar for 2 years and I want it to be under 1000$ so please introduce me the best guitar with this features.

My number one tip:

Real Maiden Fan said:
what are the differences between the instrument of Steve Harris and the other bands guitarists?

Learn this first. If you want to work in a grocery store, you need to know the differences between oranges and apples.

Since you don't make attempts to find anything yourself I'll help you a bit to learn the differences

Read about the guitar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar

Read about the bass guitar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_guitar

Picture of a guitar
127px-Guitar_1.jpg

This one is an acoustic guitar. Most guitars have six strings.

Picture of a bass guitar
100px-Stingray_guitar.jpg

Most bass guitars have 4 thick strings.

If I understand you well you are currently in the position of an instrument. But you stated you want to buy a bass guitar. Then what's the problem? Either get that bass guitar, either don't. The acoustic guitar you own, has other qualities. Try to learn these, or sell it.

You've already said that you want a bass guitar and you want it under $1000. Well, you can keep the acoustic guitar and buy a bass guitar as well. There's no harm in having both. Just sell the acoustic if you need extra funds.

Where/How are you planning to guy a bass guitar? Are you buying online? Craigslist? Ebay? Local music store?

You will also need a bass guitar amplifier.

I'm gonna buy a bass guitar at a local music store, However I'm confused about which guitar I should start with ? electric or bass ?
Do you know how much does the Steve's guitar cost? I mean a used one because the fender company doesn't make it anymore.

Okay, just to make it clear, when you say electric, that's what Adrian, Dave and Janick use. When you say bass, that's what Steve uses.

If you learn electric, you'll be able to play with more flexibility. You can play chords, licks and solos. You'll be able to play and write melodies.

If you learn bass, you'll mostly be handling the rhythm and groove of a song by playing a succession of notes. It can be melodic, but rarely will a bass drive the melody of a song.

I have no idea how much Steve's guitar costs though, nor an imitation of it or simply one in the same model.

valacirca said:
If you learn electric, you'll be able to play with more flexibility. You can play chords, licks and solos. You'll be able to play and write melodies.

If you learn bass, you'll mostly be handling the rhythm and groove of a song by playing a succession of notes. It can be melodic, but rarely will a bass drive the melody of a song.

Now this is just plain wrong.

I've never had a problem playing chords, licks and solos on my bass. I can easily play and write melodies.

The very suggestion that the bass is somehow "less flexible" than the guitar is Grade A Bullshit.

"Flexibility" is characteristic of the musician, not the instrument.

And bass can't drive melody? Just as the first thing off the top of my head, someone needs to introduce you to the band Rush.

Maybe it's wrong to imply that one can't write melodies using a bass; so I can recant that. I didn't mean to say you can't play licks and solos with a bass either. But I didn't say a bass can't drive a melody. Paul McCartney played the bass and his melodic basslines contribute to the effect of a lot of Beatles songs. However, when someone want's to play and sing along to "Hey Jude" for example, it's the chord progression being strummed on a guitar that will usually be played --- not the bassline.

Also: How do you play chords on a bass?

All things considered equal, I would still say that an electric guitar is a more versatile and flexible instrument than a bass though.
EDIT: Since SMX seems to be a bass player, of course I would have to defer to his opinion on that instrument. However, my point of view as an electric guitar player who owns and occasionally fiddles around with a bass is that if you know how to play a guitar, you can use it to play rhythm guitar in a band or play lead. I don't think it's any coincidence that a band will usually have one rhythm guitarist and at least one lead guitarist but rarely will a band have more than one bassist.

I'm not trying to give the bass guitar a bad rap, but an electric guitar simply has a wider range, plus with its frets being narrower and strings being softer, a person with equal skills on both instruments would be able to navigate and play an electric guitar (with the bends, slides, hammers, pulls and whatever else) with more ease than a bass.

A good guitar to start?

Hi all, I'm looking for a good guitar for the firs time nowadays and to begin learning play it, But I'm confused :( don't know which is good? Fender Mexican Standard Srat or Squier? Or Epiphone or ... Please help. Thanks

Re: A good guitar to start?

For an absolute beginner i would suggest trying an encore or squire. From what ive heard they ae both decent beginner guitars. An epiphone would probably be more suitable as a second guitar.

Re: A good guitar to start?

From what I've heard, and from what little I played some models, I'll say that Squire and Epiphone suck ass.

Maybe epiphone's a bit better but man but I think you could get guitars that are way better for the same price (or a bit more) from a less known company.

For example, I have an X200PRO by Washburn, and it's a great guitar for it's price. Cost me about 620 Bucks, and it's sounds really good for it's price. Also has 24 frets and a nice finish.

Back