Musical prejudice

It's not important (to me). I just don't like people definitively ruling out even the possibility of such things. Foro, on the other hand, really does want you to explain why! :D
Not for nothing.

I think that (especially) Flash has said more than just not liking some things. He said that women are not capable of certain things. I think that this is not true:
Female voice type does touch my heart in certain styles. But I think it lacks the characteristics the heavy metal sound offers.
If I have to bear with such stereotyping views, then let's bear with the questioning of them as well.
Are you not open to the possibility that there probably is a female vocalist out there who lives up to your ideal Metal vocalist? Or are you just saying you've never heard one? There's a big difference.
Hit on the nail.

Someone may not like the following voice, but how does it not fit this music, because she is a woman?

@Ariana - I was agreeing with you all the way through this thread until you said that Scabbia is the weak link in Lacuna Coil. Not that the band is even all that good, and she's definitely an average singer at best, but, oh my, that male singer...:puke:

I never said Lacuna Coil's male singer was good. That would make me deaf. ;) I only said I found his voice more suitable for their music, that's all.

Your efforts trying to pass me as a sexist is ridiculous, Foro. I have no interest in continuing this debate any further because I'm afraid it'll go to places I don't want them to go.

And the song you posted is pretty much soft rock. I said I like female vocalists in many genres and I don't like male vocalists in some genres. What's wrong with you in saying I claim women are not capable? I said male vocalists sound ridiculous when they try to sound "sweet". Then males are not capable of that, so I'm bashing them "because they're men". I'm sexist for both sides. Cool story.

I never said Lacuna Coil's male singer was good. That would make me deaf. ;) I only said I found his voice more suitable for their music, that's all.

I can see that. If they went full-Evanescence, I suppose Cristina would fit better. Either way, they are a great band to turn off your speakers to.

Will do.

I realize that the last question I asked is very difficult to answer so I am not surprised by this reaction.

Which question, Foro? About Pat Benatar? She may have an amazing voice but it can't change the fact that female voices sound wrong on top of metal songs to me.

The female vocal is an odd one, in general I find myself enjoying less bands that have female vocals - it's not a concious decision of "they're female I don't like it", it's just the effect it has on the music of (usually) a very different style/tone. There are many songs by female vocalists that I enjoy, but it is a minority and rarely multiple songs by the same artist. I think part of what I like with the male vocals is the slight grittiness, which is usually absent in female vocals. There are a few I enjoy, Joan Jett and Nightwish (only listened to early stuff so far) are examples.

- As NP said, "Xcore" music.
- Harsh vocals
- Gimmick bands (prime example, The Iron Maidens, they are a tribute band with no difference to any other tribute band except for their gender.. how is that worthy of record deals!?), I don't consider a genre/style change to be as gimmicky, e.g Hayseed Dixie.
- Teenage angst bands
- Vulgarity (Steel Panther come to mind), can be entertaining if not taken too far, but it usually is.

Not prejudice, but something which has put me off even trying to listen to a band on some occasions is people over-pushing it. I once knew someone who every single time anyone mentioned a band his response would be "theyre okay, what about Greenday?".

Which question, Foro? About Pat Benatar? She may have an amazing voice but it can't change the fact that female voices sound wrong on top of metal songs to me.
Ariana, how can you know that in advance?

I posted this video because she has more of a rougher voice. Very different stuff from what you posted. I am not forcing you to like this singer.
What I am trying to tell you is that you can't see all the female singers the same way. You can't see them at all if you don't listen to them.

I don't know in advance, Foro. I know my taste. Still, I played that video and heard the song. It didn't sound right to me, sorry.

May I just point out that the question was about the things that were likely to put us off a band before we heard it? I can flood this thread with links to -core songs and ask NP and Crimson Idol to explain why they are prejudiced but I won't do it because I know perception is strictly individual and my indignation with the fact they don't like -core will not move them one bit.

It didn't sound right. Is that because she is a woman? That's the only reason?

Well, I am glad you played the song, kudos for that. Even if you didn't like it, you must have heard that she was different.

It didn't sound right. Is that because she is a woman? That's the only reason?

This constant question just shows that you're going to disregard any point against the way you think. I brought up sound differences between men and women voices, yet you still ask people if it's only because of the gender.

I looked for other arguments but didn't get them.

What I did is challenging your way of thinking. I did that by showing a woman who does not sound as the stereotype you described.

What stereotype? You really think I can't tell the difference between Tarja and Doro?

She didn't sound different than what I said, if you actually pay attention to what I say. Do you know what word "deep" means? Males have deeper voices than females, you know.

One thing you have to realize is that this is a matter of taste, and the thread asks for prejudice. I don't have to explain anything, that's the essence of prejudice. You seem to be intolerant of tastes that are not your own because you instantly start calling harsh names. Deaf, sexist (through calling my views stereotypical) also sarcastic remarks.

Last edited:
Back