Most Underrated Maiden song?

A

Anonymous

What do you think the most underrated Iron Maiden song is?

I'd have to go with The Unbeliever, alot of people call it one of the weakest songs on TXF, but I find it to be a really powerful song, the part where Blaze sings:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]All my life I've run astray
Let my faith slip away[/quote]

is probably the highlight of the song, it goes from a slower pace to a fast one for a few lines, and it sounds absolutely amazing.

The most underrated song IMO anyway, is Afraid to shoot strangers.
From an underrated album, here is a song that many people skip over, possibly because of a boring start. After about 2 minutes, the song really speeds up and has some great melodies. The solos are also great, combining speed with technique. Really worth another listen, if you are one of those people who just skip over it.

[!--QuoteBegin-Maiden Guitarist+Nov 13 2005, 07:22 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maiden Guitarist @ Nov 13 2005, 07:22 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Die With Your Boots On
[snapback]122975[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Now, this was great post!

Now we know exactly, and in detail, why you think that 'Die With Your Boots On' is an underrated song. I haven't had such a fascinating read in ages. Let me bow before your superior intelligence!

Now Mav before you get all stuffy on me I'll tell you why!
Great tempo, love the way the lyrics are constructed so your'e falling over one line before you get the next really sets the image of panic and disarray. The solos are great and it's a short snappy little rocker.

Underrated by whom?

I know I vastly underrated "infinite Dreams" until recently. I used to be quite put off by that song, but recently I've really come to appreciate it, especially the instrumental sections towards the end.

It has to be Twilight Zone, this song was originally going to be a B-side, but unexpectidely turned out to be a great song.

[!--QuoteBegin-drum1707+Dec 15 2005, 12:03 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(drum1707 @ Dec 15 2005, 12:03 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It has to be Twilight Zone, this song was originally going to be a B-side, but unexpectidely turned out to be a great song.
[snapback]125091[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I agree, if you've got the re-release of the Killer album you will that Purgatory and Twilight Zone are forming a story. If you look at it that way you will appreciate it more and I don't think Purgatory is better than Twilight Zone. But Twilight Zone isn't much better than Purgatory neither, it's just how you feel. Purgatory is more enlightening while Twilight Zone is more "dark" or how you want to call it.

The quality is the same IMO, that's why I think it's a shame Purgatory is appreciated more than Twilight Zone.

[!--QuoteBegin-macunaima+Dec 14 2005, 03:15 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(macunaima @ Dec 14 2005, 03:15 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Underrated by whom?

I know I vastly underrated "infinite Dreams" until recently.  I used to be quite put off by that song, but recently I've really come to appreciate it, especially the instrumental sections towards the end.
[snapback]125072[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Im the same with that song, I hated it until about 3 weeks ago when I popped in my Seventh Son disk and I listened to Infinite Dreams for the first time in almost 3 months

I have to say I enjoy a lot Mother Russia, and it is an underrated song since I don't know people who like it. I like the part in the beggining where you hear like a chorus and then the riff starts, and I find the solo at the minute 3.15 (more or less) amazing.

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Dec 18 2005, 01:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Dec 18 2005, 01:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I have to say I enjoy a lot Mother Russia, and it is an underrated song since I don't know people who like it.  I like the part in the beggining where you hear like a chorus and then the riff starts, and I find the solo at the minute 3.15 (more or less) amazing.
[snapback]125417[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Before I even started reading this thread, I was going to say Mother Russia and explain why... but you have already done this for me. Thanks!

Also, Childhood's End is very underrated. It is one of those songs that is never brought up when I've discussed FOTD with others. The instrumental part is one of the best on Fear of the Dark. I don't really like the lyrics though. None the less, it's a good song that no one cares about.

It depends on how you define 'underrated'. If we take it as a general term, any Maiden song is underrated because many people don't give the musical brilliance of the band -or heavy metal in general- the recognition it deserves for its artistic quality.

However, if we are talking about rating in heavy metal circles, I have to say pretty much the whole X Factor album is brutally underrated. I still read comments from journalists and fans who despise the album -although they have probably given it a mere two or three spins (it took me half a year to begin to appreciate it fully).

[!--QuoteBegin-Perun+Dec 25 2005, 12:41 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Dec 25 2005, 12:41 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It depends on how you define 'underrated'. If we take it as a general term, any Maiden song is underrated because many people don't give the musical brilliance of the band -or heavy metal in general- the recognition it deserves for its artistic quality.

However, if we are talking about rating in heavy metal circles, I have to say pretty much the whole X Factor album is brutally underrated. I still read comments from journalists and fans who despise the album -although they have probably given it a mere two or three spins (it took me half a year to begin to appreciate it fully).
[snapback]125815[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Isn't it logical that we speak about underrated "within the Maiden fans camp". This is the forum where the question is asked.

My vote goes to "The Duellists". Simply because of the fact that no one else talks about it. It seems to be the "forgotten song". I like it because of the brilliant mid piece. Great guitar work. It also has a catchy chorus, that stays in your head (not the way the chorus of TAATG stays in your head [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] ).

Caught Somwhere in Time (though admittedly slightly too long)
Murders In the Rue Morgue (A lost Di'Anno Classic thats is often given praise yet never played live)
And Speaking over never being played live I feel the entire SiT album doesnt get much airing at live events or on compilation CD's with the excpetion of Heaven Can Wait.
And Finally Judas Be My guide, one of the few grains of wheat in a chaff filled album called Fear of the Dark

Yes, "Caught Somewhere in Time" is definitely underrated -- the guitar solos are brilliant. The same goes for "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner". As an open question, why would these songs be so underrated?

Gangland - It has many of the aspects of a great Maiden song (such as a nice breakdown that leads into the solo, lyrics that paint a colorful if not disturbing picture and one of the best songs by Clive, even though I prefer Nicko), and it was almost dropped in favor of Total Eclipse (I think?).

Also I agree with the poster that picked Invaders; the disjointed way that the lyrics are sung, the bad ass lick and the speed and intensity of the song; I'd love to hear it live but I understand that it has NEVER been played live.

Tim

There's so many underrated Maiden songs, but in a way they're not, since you'll always find a few fans who love an underrated song:
Strange World-great show of Maiden's soft stuff
Deja Vu-I love the sudden transition from slow intro to fast riff, followed by a catchy main riff
Most of NPftD, especially Public Enema Number One, NPftD and Mother Russia
AtSS, although I think that this song is beginning to get the recognition it deserves
All of X factor (esp Unbeliever, edge of darkness, blood on the worlds hands, fortunes of war)
VXI-Lightning Strikes Twice, CEA, the Educated Fool
The stuff from the last two albums seemed to get a good spread of popularity-nobody seemed to ignore one single song (as in looking at the vast public opinion, no single song was ignored-have i explained that well enough?)

Deja-Vu might not have great lyrics but how deep can you get talking about a feeling? The vocals are great and there are some nice power-metal melodies in there. Cool chorus.

To Tame a Land. IMO the best Harry epic and therefore the best Iron Maiden song. Complex riffs that change often while keeping the same feel, an awesome bassline, this song should definitely be on the next live album.

Edit: Legionnare, Murders was played at the beast over Hammersmith show on early days.

Back