1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Important Iron Maiden Member is Steve Harris

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Night Prowler, Aug 5, 2016.

?

Satisfied with the results?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2016.
  1. Yes

31.3%
  2. No

68.8%
  1. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Pains me to do it, but I voted Bruce. He doesn't run the show.

2. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Zero pain. Voted Steve cos he runs the show and it was his idea to cut the ends off the logo that time. Ballbeg.

3. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

Yeah. Guess it has to be Steve. He ran the show before Bruce was even a name in heavy metal...(hadn't Maiden given Bruce the chance to progress from Samson to Maiden..well, it's possible that Bruce would have stayed in Samson and seen his singing career slowly fade away into obscurity) Also..Steve kept Maiden running when Bruce QUIT the band after Fear of The Dark (and he could probably keep the band going again if Bruce left a second time) for that reason alone the most important must be Steve....

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  4. Niall Kielt

Niall Kielt Pulled Her At The Bottle Top

Actualy thought i was voting against Steve. Hate that guy

5. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

Bruce is the man. Sure, Steve started it all and Maiden were already a good band before 1982 but Dickinson took them to unconquered heights. The vocalist in heavy metal.

Collin and Brigantium like this.
  6. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Top 6
    01. Steve Harris
    02. Bruce Dickinson
    03. Adrian Smith
    04. Dave Murray
    05. Nicko McBrain
    06. Janick Gers

7. Night Prowler

No. Janick being last is too much of a blasphemy even if Top 3 should be as it is.

8. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

Identical to the way I voted, so yes.

9. Saapanael

Saapanael "My hair sets the trend of tmrw by doing it today"

Janick is at the bottom where he belongs. He has done great work in Maiden, for sure, but Adrian and Dave have a legacy of their own.

10. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Janick should be two places higher. The top 3 is accurate.

11. Brigantium

Brigantium Work Geordie for hire Staff Member

Well, that answers that question once and for all. So we never need to discuss it again. :) Cheers for hosting!

But especially in the light of present-day creativity and productivity, I definitely wouldn't put Janick last. Much as I love Dave's playing, I suspect he contributes the least. I think of Bruce as the biggest star, but it's probably correct that Steve is the boss and in that respect most important member.

12. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

This Survivor was the most disappointing thing since The Phantom Menace.

13. Collin

Collin Jambi

Total Farce. I'm done...

14. Night Prowler

Missa respect yousa opinion!

Perun, Brigantium and Collin like this.
  15. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Serious thoughts, Janick has been in the band for 25+ years straight and is one of the top songwriting contributors. I get that Dave was around longer, but he doesn't contribute much in the way of writing and peaked as a player sometime in the early 90s IMO. Not trying to bash the guy, but Janick has been a key figure and was critical for the success of the reunion albums. I can't believe the same forum that voted his songs as the two best songs of the reunion era also considers him the least important member.

16. Collin

Collin Jambi

But where would the band be today without Dave's smiley face?!?!

17. Stardust

Stardust A Blue Sector Mirage

It's finished? What?

18. The Flash

In my defense, I don't hold a lot of the Janick penned songs as high in regard as many on the forum. Legacy, Talisman, Book of Souls are in "good" territory for me, not great. Despite writing considerably less songs in the Reunion era, Dave actually has more tracks than Janick that I'd put in the "great" category. Brave New World, Rainmaker, Ben Breeg vs. Navigator & Dance of Death, namely. (Though I'm not going to argue that Dave is more important in the creativity department)

The reason why Janick seems the most expendable member is because if you take him out of the equation, the lineup that we're left with is the lineup that did the Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son run of albums. That's the band's golden era. Dave's importance to the live shows make him really valuable too, he's been there since the beginning. Hard to imagine a Maiden show without him. Whereas a Janick-less Maiden show is the lineup that busted out Live After Death and Maiden England, not too shabby.

I'd consider Nicko before I'd consider Dave btw. Because we know the band worked very well without Nicko. But I think the chemistry in the rhythm section is the backbone of a band and Steve & Nicko have a sustained chemistry that's rare in metal. Look at other bands of similar fame and acclaim as Maiden. Metallica changed bassists, Judas Priest changed drummers, Megadeth changed drummers and the list goes on.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    CriedWhenBrucieLeft and Collin like this.
  19. Forostar

Forostar Conjure the Death Star again

Not that often though!

20. The Flash

Not often, but often enough to be considerably behind Steve & Nicko's tenure together. They've now been playing together for 34 years.