Most favorite song from The Book Of Souls

What's your most favorite song from The Book Of Souls?

• If Eternity Should Fail

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Speed Of Light

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • The Great Unknown

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • The Red And The Black

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • When The River Runs Deep

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Book Of Souls

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Death Or Glory

• Shadows Of The Valley

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Tears Of A Clown

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • The Man Of Sorrows

• Empire Of The Clouds

Votes: 27 23.5%

• Total voters
Over a month later and it's still the only song that does nothing for me.

It's nearly two months and nothing has changed; the title track still surpasses everything else very easily. #2 is TRATB (still) and #3 is probably the underrated Shadows of the Valley.

From liking TBOS (the song) very much at first, it's declined as Red and the Black has grown on me.

Well, I didn't like TRATB it very much at all to begin with. I thought it started brilliantly, then lurched off into the overly-happy 'whoah-ohs' before steadying itself in the instrumental. In fact it was very much a 'oh my god, what have then done?' when I first heard it. But it's got more energy than TBOS.

It's nearly two months and nothing has changed; the title track still surpasses everything else very easily. #2 is TRATB (still) and #3 is probably the underrated Shadows of the Valley.

This is my exact same top 3 right now. TRATB didn't click with me at the start, but it has grown immensely. I have also loved Shadows right from the start. I have Empire closely behind at #4, followed by The Man of Sorrows at #5.

Don't even get me started on TBOS. I have already stated my thoughts about this song previously in this thread; but it is still absolutely, without a doubt, undeniably, no questions asked, go home and slap your mama (I'll stop now) BEST song of the album.

I understand that Maiden were considering either Death or Glory or Speed of Light as their lead single. They have a whopping 2 votes between them!

I can't separate TRATB, TBOS and EOTC.
The inspirational instrumental sections of TRATB have a very similar groove to the instrumental and lengthy fade out on Starship Trooper off the classic Yes Album, without really sounding much like it. Probably sounds weird but I know what I mean !

I had TRATB as my favorite, until i heard IESF live...there's no turning back now.

But, if i had to make a top3, it would be: IESF, TRATB and TOAC. Talk about an underrated song...

I see the title track almost caught up to EOTC! However, I have changed from TRATB from being my most favorite to that being tied with EOTC. This will be the first Maiden album ever where that has happened.

No shit, it's Empire of the fucking Clouds. The only Maiden song I give an 11/10 to.

"Empire of the Clouds", tied with "The Red and the Black". Can't choose just one of them! Both are 10/10's so hard they're almost 11/10.

I didn't know about this site when Book Of Souls was released, so I never saw this thread before today. One of those 'bump' deals, I reckon.

Anyhow, after much gnashing of teeth, it came down to three. Death or Glory won out over The Red And The Black and The Great Unknown, solely on the basis of Adrian's slide guitar.

It was not an easy decision. I love The Red And The Black, and I really love The Great Unknown.

It was like Sophie's Choice.

Back