Military coup in Russia

Fuck's sake, what is this bizarre mess? This is beneficial for no-one - Pirozhkin can't be ever fully trusted after this, Putin's authority and image was definitely shaken (and if he won't punish the traitors harshly, he'll look even weaker than he does now), this is just... inane. I know not to expect anything - the first days of the invasion were so laughably bad I'm not really surprised by anything by this point, but I'm still kinda baffled here.

Pirozhkin benefits big time, the deal has to be to get rid of all the people in the Defense Ministry he has been complaining about. They hole thing (including the war) is still idiotic beyond belief ... but very russian

According to Russian state media, major changes to the leadership of the Russian ministry of defense including the current defense minister, Sergei Shoigu and army chief of general staff, Valery Gerasimov have reportedly been agreed upon in order to stop the march of the Wagner group towards Moscow.

So... It was false flag op? fck
Might have been for real initially, with GRU people behind it in a scenario similar to what @JudasMyGuide described above (and GRU officer Wagner founder Utkin being born in Ukraine and a Nazi sympathizer, oh the irony) and then, as usual in russia, some other supposedly allied clique got cold feet, or a better offer, or whatever, we'll never know. Still, getting some kind of deal, and involving the Agroführer makes it look like it was a bit more complicated than just a hoax.
But no matter how it started it ended up as a farce.

Last edited:
We may have dodged a bullet with Wagner standing down. They're psycho's responsible for the worst crimes against humanity and would have caused carnage had they taken the Kremlin.

However, Putin has caved-in none the less and has probably given them more powers and free reign to do what they want in Ukraine. I expect that the war will escalate.

Pirozhkin benefits big time, the deal has to be to get rid of all the people in the Defense Ministry he has been complaining about. They hole thing (including the war) is still idiotic beyond belief ... but very russian

What I said still stands. He made Putin look like a little bitch and that won't be forgotten.

In fact, just about an hour ago I read some news that he hasn't been seen since, who knows. Anyway, if I were him, I'd be entering every room sideways now.

We may have dodged a bullet with Wagner standing down. They're psycho's responsible for the worst crimes against humanity and would have caused carnage had they taken the Kremlin.

Oh, he's an insane psychopath, all right. That's why I didn't think he would be allowed to rule eventually and even if he somehow managed that, he'd be fighting a long and protracted civil war with the rest of the Russian Federation. He definitely wouldn't have time to care about Ukraine first. But that's moot point now.

However, Putin has caved-in none the less and has probably given them more powers and free reign to do what they want in Ukraine. I expect that the war will escalate.

I have my doubts. Changing leadership or giving someone free reign - theoretically, I wonder how much of a "reign" will Pirozhkin retain, see above - might make the Russians a bit more effective for a while, but the general problems that hinder Russian war effort (collapsing economy, want of equipment, discipline, conviction) remain. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Back