Mexico To De-criminalise Drugs.

A

Anonymous

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20060428-1857-mexico-drugs.html ://http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/...ico-drugs.html

By Mark Stevenson
ASSOCIATED PRESS
6:57 p.m. April 28, 2006

MEXICO CITY – Mexico's Congress approved a bill Friday decriminalizing possession of small quantities of drugs for personal use – including cocaine and even heroin – raising potential questions about joint U.S.-Mexican anti-narcotics operations.
The only step remaining was the signature of President Vicente Fox, whose office indicated he would sign the bill, which Mexican officials hope will allow police to focus on large-scale trafficking operations rather than minor drug busts.

“This law gives police and prosecutors better legal tools to combat drug crimes that do so much damage to our youth and children,” said Fox's spokesman, Ruben Aguilar.

If Fox signs the measure and it becomes law, it could strain the two countries' cooperation in anti-drug efforts – and increase the vast numbers of vacationing students who visit Mexico.

Oscar Aguilar, a Mexico City political analyst who is not related to the president's spokesman, said Fox appeared almost certain to sign the law – his office proposed it, and his party supports it – and that he had apparently been betting that it would not draw much notice.

“That's probably why they (the Senate) passed it the way they did, in the closing hours of the final session,” Aguilar said. “He's going to sign it ... he's not going to abandon his party two months before the (presidential) election.”

What a joke. Mexico is a developing country, so its health service is going to be, surprisingly, a little worse than Britain's. This means that with people overdosing en masse legally the hospitals will be overloaded with people who don't deserve the medical care that others desperately need.

Opinions on this please.

P.S. Sorry to Onhell if Mexico isn't a developing country.

it is a developing country, but legalizing the drugs won't produce an epidemic. if memory serves me right, it was during PROHIBITION in the U.S when all hell broke lose.

[!--quoteo(post=135890:date=Apr 29 2006, 08:13 PM:name=Ascendancy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Apr 29 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]135890[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
This means that with people overdosing en masse legally the hospitals will be overloaded with people who don't deserve the medical care that others desperately need.
[/quote]
People are people, whether they do drugs or not. It isn't fair to deny someone medical care just because they abuse drugs. Just my opinion...

Not that I advocate the use of drugs. I just don't believe one should discriminate a group of people based on their life style, healthy or not.

Not to mention the vast majority of people doing that are homeless and haven't received proper care their entire lives.

I read once about a study which had people looking at a particular landscape. When they were outside, most of them just passed by without much notice. However, when the same people were put in front of a window from which you could see exactly the same things, they would stand there endlessly, just gazing at that same landscape.

Well why not? what makes it so different from other drugs? I don't see the Netherlands or Denmark plunged into chaos from their permissive culture. I know Heroin is not one of their "legal" drugs, but honestly I don't see what the big hoopla is.

@ perun: I just look out the window... then close the curtains :D

Onhell said:
what makes it so different from other drugs?
What makes a flame-thrower so different from a cigarette lighter?
culo.gif

Netherlands and Denmark are Develpoed countries where health care is better and crime is more controlled. Just imagine how much money drug dealers are going to make, and money from heroin eventually makes it's way back to terrorist orinisations.  :angry:

Crime is lower because the gap between rich and poor is lower, not because of better law enforcement (though that helps). Mexico's health care is better at least than that of the U.S (i've experianced both first hand) So being a develped nation has no direct correlation with the quality of the health care. A better example: Cuba. And I still don't understand the concern over flooded hospitals. Is that a Problem in Sweden and in Canada where they have socialized healthcare? Because that is the excuse the U.S always gives for preventing such measures. Hosptials won't flood, the country is already in chaos because of mass poverty, not because we are a country of junkies. And I for one would rather have a cop looking for the van containing 50 kilos of drugs instead of wasting my time for carrying a couple of joints.

It's a valid argument.  Target the dealers and keep the stuff off the streets, and don't worry about your average pothead.  And this new law doesn't make buying drugs, or selling drugs, any less legal - simply possessing small amounts for personal use.  It just means the police are not going to be wasting their time on the little stuff, and going after the big stuff.

I suppose that's true, because if the Government is in control of the supply of drugs then people will find it harder to overdose. My english teacher was said that he thinks all drugs should be legalised in Britian so that the Government is in control of the buying and selling of them.

Ascendancy said:
My english teacher was said that he thinks all drugs should be legalised in Britian so that the Government is in control of the buying and selling of them.
Maybe he should spend more time teaching you English grammar. :rolleyes:

national acrobat said:
Maybe he should spend more time teaching you English grammar.
To me, Ascendancy's mistake looks more like improper editing than bad grammar...

On topic: Total government control is utopia. Just as a ban on drugs won't make people stop taking and selling them, legalisation will not make drugs into just another type of goods and thus less desirable...

SilentLucidity said:
On topic: Total government control is utopia. Just as a ban on drugs won't make people stop taking and selling them, legalisation will not make drugs into just another type of goods and thus less desirable...

Utopia? I always thought "utopia" is a positive word ;)

SilentLucidity said:
Total government control is utopia.

Perun is right. The correct word would be dystopia. </smart-arse mode>  :biggrin:

^_^ Gentlemen, what's better - the idea of having dinner with (insert the name of a desired female) or having dinner with (insert the name of a desired female)? With a simple reasoning you get the correct answer: utopia is bad.

Back