1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metallica

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I am not dissatisfied with this particular change. On the contrary. This served as a reminder to people who may have forgotten how this started. (hi @CriedWhenBrucieLeft )

Perun likes this.
  2. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I think the confusion comes from the definition of the word "big", not "artist". Being "big" is almost exclusively used to mean popularity in musical context. "The big scene", "Making it big", "The big time" etc. I agree that popularity doesn't make an artist "better". But it does make an artist "bigger", because that's what that means.

Hope I could get my point across.

Umm, no. I simply reached a compromise with you, I still hold the belief that Lady Gaga is more popular than Metallica right now.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    Forostar likes this.
  3. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Educated Fool

Yes @The Flash, I can understand you very well, I don't necessarily agree though. Glad you and Perun can understand my point as well.

4. jazz from hell

5. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Nope.

6. Perun

Perun At the Heart of Winter Staff Member

I would even go so far as to say that I agree with your point if we're talking about whether artistic merit or commercial success if more important in evaluating an artist. It's just that I didn't have the feeling that was the topic of the discussion.

7. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Not sure what the argument here, but I would say album sales today are not a good way to measure an artist's popularity.

Detective Beauregard likes this.
  8. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

What's a better way? If people wish to buy an album they are really going for it. It sure shows appreciation.

9. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Concert attendance, spotify streams (I believe the RIAA factors this in now), TV appearances, etc. Depends on the artist too. I suspect Metallica fans are more likely to buy an album than Lady Gaga fans, but that's a sweeping generalization.

Also, Joanne was not a success for her. I've seen really poor reception to it from her fans and none of the singles seemed to catch on. Total opposite outcome with Hardwired. Yet Lady Gaga still had one of the most watched Superbowl performances and both artists have had some high profile TV show appearances lately.

Album sales are definitely impressive, but they don't really reflect today's mainstream music consumption.

The Flash likes this.
  10. jazz from hell

I edited my pudding post. Hope everything's clear now.

11. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

I realize it's tempting to see big media events as indicators for popularity but I really think that the listeners and not the broadcasters decide what is popular. And that can only be measured by their actions. And the action to buy something artist related, that tells more than the action of zapping to a TV channel or surfing to a YouTube video (without paying money).
    But they do reflect popularity of an artist. At least, I maintain of the opinion that both albums and concert tickets are some of the biggest factors. They give the deepest (and best) connection with the music, and therefore with the artist. And again: since these two are the most expensive factors, they show very well how many people really wish to invest in something they love. The bigger the love for an artist's music, the bigger the wish becomes to get an album or concert ticket. The bigger the wish to get an album or concert ticket, the bigger album sales and concert attendance become.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
    eddie666 likes this.
  12. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Brigantium likes this.
  13. Forostar

Forostar Ancient Mariner

14. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

They probably tortured them with isolated St. Anger drum tracks.

15. CriedWhenBrucieLeft

CriedWhenBrucieLeft Ancient Mariner

Or isolated Kirk live solos.

Brigantium and Night Prowler like this.
  16. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

My favourite part of that article is that Kerry King is bitter that Slayer songs weren't used in the torture sessions.

I wonder if Metallica's live albums were used, because there might be loads of Taliban now thinking they're part of the Metallica family.

Detective Beauregard likes this.
  17. Ruflux

Ruflux Trooper

I'll bet they played the Live Shit San Diego '92 drum solo over and over again. Hell, maybe they played the guitar and bass solos from the same show just to be extra sure.

18. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

I think the point they have in mind when picking music to annoy the enemy is to pick something as Western as possible, rather than pick something that sounds bad.

What's really funny is that U.S. Army used Rage Against the Machine's music.

frus likes this.
  19. Ruflux

Ruflux Trooper

Well yeah, but it's funnier to imagine it also being something completely terrible if you ask me.

20. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands