Metallica

I took Maturin's point to be (alluding to): why would Kirk not talk about this (himself) if it's obviously (to him & everyone else) having a detrimental effect on his playing? Without knowing this, you'd just think he was getting sloppy as hell for no reason.

Probably doesn't want to accept defeat publicly by making excuses for himself. I mean, James never talked about alcohol ruining his voice but we all knew it was happening. (His voice was shot prior and during the rehab and it came back some time after becoming sober)

He made excuses before. Hence the lost riffs. Using alcohol is different from a disease you cannot (always) prevent. I mean, it's not something to be ashamed of, definitely not if it effects the playing.

Last edited:
I guess if you're a well known professional guitarist, it's going to be hard to accept, let alone talk about, losing your ability to play. Plus, if he opens the floodgates by starting to talk about arthritis hindering his playing, it means questions will follow about his future in Metallica, and about what the band plans to do in the future. The band might not be willing to talk about that at this stage.

He made excuses before. Hence the lost riffs. Using alcohol is different from a disease you cannot (always) prevent. I mean, it's not something to be ashamed of, definitely not if it effects the playing.

It's not a matter of whether his excuse is valid or not. If he came out with excuses he'd be acknowledging that he's struggling to play out there and that's not good for his image.

Alex Lifeson has discussed his arthritis.
Then again, no one is questioning his ability to play through it, or his place in his band, so maybe that makes it easier.

More making of videos are here!

Confusion (working title: Lima):

Murder One (working title: Frankenstein):

Regardless of my thoughts on the album, the video game for this album is the best I've ever seen for any band ever. It's comprehensive, interesting, and ludicrously well-organized.

Metallica is quite a short band, Lars is 5'5'' (1.66), Kirk is 5'8'' (1.72), Rob is 5'9'' (1.75). James isn't remarkably tall but he looks like a giant next to them at 6'1'' (1.85).

I'm reading here that Hetfield finds liberals elitist so he went to redneck country (not quite: he went to Colorado) where he doesn't need to be confronted with "other" way of life. Where he isn't confronted with criticism on his NRA hobbies.

I can really see why Lars doesn't like to talk politics with him.

Last edited:
Back