Metal with female vocals

I guess bands which are around were mentioned but indeed, Warlock's singer Doro Pesch is very active still. She's collaborated with many people in the metal scene, also sang on After Forever's Remagine album.

Click (not my favourite song of that record, but still an interesting duet between her and Floor Jansen).

Live vid of Doro performing with After Forever (not great quality but you get the idea).

I don't really like classic heavy metal with female vocals. I think that female vocals are more suited for symphonic/gothic/power metal with lots of keyboards.

I tried Delain's first album which is really good, but feels more like a studio project than a real band. I expect more from the second one.

Next on the playlist was Epica, their latest album - Design Your Universe. It's much better than I expected it to be. I expected a commercial poppy metal album, but it's totally the opposite - highly technical, complex and progressive effort. Simone's vocals are amazing. Best moment of the album is the last repeating of the chorus in Unleashed, when Simone shifts from normal to opera vocals :wub:

Forostar said:
Don't forget Mark Jansen's new band which also features (guest) vocals by Simone, Floor and others:

MaYaN - Drown the Demon

Featuring Mark Jansen (Epica) alongside Jack Driessen (ex-After Forever) and Frank Schiphorst, will release its debut album Quarterpast, on May 20 2011

MaYaN members:
Mark Jansen (Epica, ex-After forever) -- Guitar, Vocals
Jack Driessen (ex-After forever) - Keyboards
Frank Schiphorst - Guitar, Vocals
Jeroen Paul Thesseling (Pestilence, Obscura) - Bass
Isaac Delahaye (Epica) - Guitar
Ariën van Weesenbeek (Epica) - Drums

Quarterpast will feature vocal contributions from:
Floor Jansen (Revamp, ex-After forever)
Simone Simons (Epica)
Henning Basse (Sons Of Seasons)
Laura Macrì (Italian opera singer)
Album was released more than a month ago, what do you think of it? I'm about to listen to it for the first time :shred:
Sounds great, although I'll have to listen to it more, since it's very complex and not so catchy album.

The Gathering and Autumn are two of my favourite bands. I saw them play together last year and they were both awesome. Both bands are going to release new albums this year. Both the new female singers are out of this world as are their forerunners. Mind that the two bands are not exactly metal, though.

Check out their best albums:

The Gathering - 'How To Measure A Planet'
Autumn - 'My New Time'

I listened to some songs from Within Temptation on YouTube, so I decided to check out some of their albums. Comments later :)

Listened to some other Epica albums, and came to the conclusion that Design Your Universe is their best album, both songwise and soundwise. It's much more focused on guitars, is much heavier, has much better production than previous albums. Btw. they just finished recording new album which should come out early next year. If it keeps everything that made DYU good, it will be awesome.

Nightwish released a new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro It's good, but I think that the album will have better songs. I relistened some previous albums, and I still prefer Anette. Tarja has her moments, but overall, I prefer Annette, sorry everyone :S Though Beauty OF The Beast is their best song.

I gave a chance to Delain, but didn't like it much :S I mean, music is good, performances are good, production is good, but nothing really stands out that could make me listen to their music constantly.

I'm gonna listen to Within Temptation and After Forever in the next few days :innocent:

Night Prowler said:
Listened to some other Epica albums, and came to the conclusion that Design Your Universe is their best album, both songwise and soundwise. It's much more focused on guitars, is much heavier, has much better production than previous albums. Btw. they just finished recording new album which should come out early next year. If it keeps everything that made DYU good, it will be awesome.

Exactly! I think it is a PERFECT album. even Simone's singing is fantastic, much more controlled and better modulated. Just a fantastic piece of work. Every time I listen to it I get pumped up, hasn't lost the initial slap in your face effect.

Nightwish released a new song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MTDBb8qro It's good, but I think that the album will have better songs. I relistened some previous albums, and I still prefer Anette. Tarja has her moments, but overall, I prefer Annette, sorry everyone :S Though Beauty OF The Beast is their best song.

While I like Tarja and she is the iconic frontwoman, I prefer Annette as DPP showed, they can be more versatile with her voice than they could have been with Tarja's. A new era, an exciting one, cannot wait for the new album.

Onhell said:
Exactly! I think it is a PERFECT album. even Simone's singing is fantastic, much more controlled and better modulated. Just a fantastic piece of work. Every time I listen to it I get pumped up, hasn't lost the initial slap in your face effect.
Yeah. It has everything that defines a great album. Also, making guitars more important is a great step forward. Only bad thing on that album is Tony Kakko's appearance on White Waters. Horrible, horrible singer.

LOL I like him. Sonata Arctica's first Album is a very good effort. He's ok in the Studio, but yeah... I don't like him live. I don't like the direction he's taken SA though. of the last albums only Unia is redeemable.

Fantastic song. I like all of Ecliptica except for 8th commandment. My Land? fucking awesome. Power of One? Epic. Fullmoon? amazing tapestry it weaves... can't tell I'm a fan, huh? lol

Recap of previous past days of Nightwish:
On September 28, Annette got sick before a show in Denver, was admitted to hospital, and the band played a shortened set with Marco, Alissa White-Gluz and Elize Ryd on vocals. 2 days later, Annette wrote on her blog how she didn't like the fact the band played without her. Today, she got kicked out of the band :D The tour will go on, Floor Jansen will sing on all the remaining dates. And I sincerely hope she stays full time.

Thanks for the update ! Wow. What a development. Two thoughts:
1. A hard treatment for Annette.
2. Nightwish can't get a stronger vocalist. Floor is the greatest.

Sounds like there was a lot of bad blood brewing between Annette and Nightwish already if that blew the cap off things.

Few suggestion for new vocalist:
-Floor Jansen - flawless when it comes to performing, but afaik she had a breakdown last year, so I dunno if she can handle being in such a big band
-Elize Ryd - even though her band Amaranthe sucks balls, she was pretty good the other night when she replaced Annette
-Anneke Van Giersbergen - dunno if she'd like to be in a metal band again, but she rules anyway
-Laura Macrì - a bit unknown to general public, sings in Mayan, side-project of Epica members

Back