Metal with female vocals

I always thought "Female fronted" sounded like a hermaphrodite with a male back and a female front. But that's just me being way outside the box. :p

The 'female fronted' thing always made me snigger in a Carry On way anyway.

Any live clips from both these acts to see how real it really is? Someone told me that I should check BabyMetal, but both the name and Severian's description turn me off.

Any live clips from both these acts to see how real it really is? Someone told me that I should check BabyMetal, but both the name and Severian's description turn me off.

If you look up "Gimme Chocolate" or "Road of Resistance", I think both of these (BabyMetal) are live music videos.

BabyMetal aren't fake in the sense that they can't play live, but more in the sense that their members come from a school dedicated to churning out J-Pop singers.

The 'female fronted' thing always made me snigger in a Carry On way anyway.

I thought the thread title made perfect sense actually. A metal band with a female as front (wo)man. "Metal with female vocals" could be anything that has just female vocals somewhere in the song.

BabyMetal aren't fake in the sense that they can't play live, but more in the sense that their members come from a school dedicated to churning out J-Pop singers.

No, I meant fake as in they say it's 3 japanese school girls who play Death metal style music but in actuality they just sing J-Pop and an actual metal band play the music, as i say they're a good band but i dont like how they're advertised.

No, I meant fake as in they say it's 3 japanese school girls who play Death metal style music but in actuality they just sing J-Pop and an actual metal band play the music, as i say they're a good band but i dont like how they're advertised.

Ah, I understand you better now.

Saw a band last night called Mind Maze. They were very...average. Female singer that primarily sang in an alto belt (similar to Delain), only one guitar player which left the band sounding incredibly empty (and his tone was absolute shit), a bassist who looked all of 16 years old, and a drummer who looked like he was 52.

Not sure what Mike Lepond has to do with this band, or why...?

Trees of Eternity: Doom band with only one demo so far but it's a good 'un

This is interesting. I wondered who the guest female vocalist was on one of the tracks on Amorphis' new album, and it turns out it's Aleah Stanbridge from Trees of Eternity. Unusual soft and breathy vocals. I can't decide if I like it for doom type metal, but it certainly brings something different to the table. I see Trees of Eternity also features two former members of Katatonia, the Norrman brothers.

Last edited:
Guy in the pic with Aleah is Swallow The Sun guitarist, she sang on three of their songs:

Just read a review of a band called Windhand -- doomy grunge metal (or is it grungy doom metal?) with a female vocalist who doesn't try to sex it up, like a lot of the artists previously mentioned. It's pretty good. But based on a random sampling of their new album on YouTube, a lot of their songs sound the same.

Last edited:
Lots of promise there, especially the opening, but nothing stand-out memorable overall. Great Mad Max-inspired video, though.

Liked this one better :) Apart from the armour. I'm an armour snob.

Back