Metal with female vocals

If you want extreme female-fronted music, you can do a lot better than ANb, who in any case did their best work when they had male vocals.

For starters, I would recommend all-female Japanese grindcore band Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation. Their discographical highlight is their split 7" with Insect Warfare, issued with a 2008 edition of Short Fast and Loud zine.

Their vocalist is great live too:

ANB without female vocals is just Pig Destroyer. but yes Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation are a better band, i saw them live in '07

If you want extreme female-fronted music, you can do a lot better than ANb, who in any case did their best work when they had male vocals.

For starters, I would recommend all-female Japanese grindcore band Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation. Their discographical highlight is their split 7" with Insect Warfare, issued with a 2008 edition of Short Fast and Loud zine.

Their vocalist is great live too:

@Natalie Insects of Terror!!

Hmmm.. I wanted to ask: Does anyone here like Arch Enemy? It seems nobody on the net likes them all that much (and if, then strictly the Liiva stuff) and admitting to liking them pretty much seems to out you as a n00b. I don't know why. I find them rather enjoyable (even those hated Khaos Legions) and while they're not the best band ever or anything, they sound quite cool to me. They were also one of the first "heavier" bands I've ever listened to, along with Cannibal Corpse (whom I read in freakin' Bravo magazine about, when I was 10) and Children of Bodom (whom I saw live on the Masters of Rock festival).
I like Angela. But who wouldn't? :p Haven't heard War Eternal yet, I'm looking forward to it.

I've listened to a bit and liked what I heard. I preferred Angela's voice (such a mean growl) and stage persona, but otherwise prefer the newer music. Alissa has a deeper growl. I'll be seeing Arch Enemy supporting Nightwish later this year.

I listen to CoB, too. They lean towards being trashy, but I do like the whole guitar and keyboard duel thing.

Arch Enemy is a cool band, but they aren't too original or versatile. They have lots of good songs, but nothing truly great or groundbreaking.

This is a classic, Night Prowler. Arcane Rain Fell (2nd album)

Their debut is good as well!
Haven't followed them well afterwards, but I am sure there's good stuff as well!

Yes, these are old albums! Recommended!
Heike, from that live clip, is relatively new, and didn't sing on previous albums. She's in the band since 2012, but her studio debut will be out next month: Sovran

Discography:
Studio albums
Compilation albums
Singles
Demo albums
  • Shades of a Lost Moon (1996)
  • In Glorious Victory (1997)
  • The Closed Eyes of Paradise (1999)
  • Frozen Features (2000)
  • Dark Oceans We Cry (2002)

Well, "fronted" is such a vague term, anyway... If a so-called frontman of The Who can be Devin Pete Townshend... Then I can listen to Electric Wizard because of Liz Buckingham! Yes! :bigsmile:

But these Draconian are cool. I have them on repeat right now. Thanks, Foro!

My pleasure. I have not paid attention to them for two long. These guitar lines really make their work great (in my ears).

(Fronted probably means singer in this topic)

My joking seems to have had some dire consequences. I've never been responsible for renaming a thread so far. Oh well... :D

Well, this is what jumped up at me after googling "female fronted metal", the first result. I must admit my knowledge betrays me somewhat:

metal-female.jpg

Of course I recognise Anette... and that's Sharon in the far left, right? But who's the rest? I honestly have no idea. :huh:

Sharon, Helena Iren Michaelsen from Imperia, Tarja, Amy Lee from Evanescence. Dunno the one on the far right.

Back