Metal with female vocals

Chelsea Wolfe: US Drone/Folk/Post Metal. Her Last 3 Releases made my #1 album of the year for each respective year. (Would have been 4 in a row if not for TBOS)

There's a lot of really good female vocalist stuff within the folk, gothic, ambient, rock genres but then we're circling in the periphery of the metal genre really. Which is what the thread is about - I don't want to recommend too much stuff that isn't metal - but I could mention many female fronted groups that sounds like Chelsea Wolfe and the soft parts of MYRKUR :)

There's a lot of really good female vocalist stuff within the folk, gothic, ambient, rock genres but then we're circling in the periphery of the metal genre really. Which is what the thread is about - I don't want to recommend too much stuff that isn't metal - but I could mention many female fronted groups that sounds like Chelsea Wolfe and the soft parts of MYRKUR :)

What About Boris?

This any good? I have it in my "Miscellaneous" mp3 folder but I'm sure where I got it from.

I also note that we haven't had any Cruachan in this thread, so I'm posting some on general principle.

Not really Metal, but Rock / Alternative i really like Hayley Williams and shes down to earth as well

Really do like this performance

They've pretty much sucked after Riot and when the Brothers left the Band
Agreed. But Riot is such a great album. Every song on there is killer.

Anyone here into King Woman? some good doom-y metal.

Good stuff. I like the atmosphere, reminds me of the cool wave of black metal we had in the 2nd half of the nineties.

This reminds me so much of this Belgian documentary I came across the other day from 1998.

This documentary is exactly like revisiting my teenage self in Darkthrone and Mayhem longsleeves and shoulder long hair in the late 90s. Its scary :D Have a look, fun documentary!!! This is how the gig culture was like before Internet, phones and what have you :)

You can turn on English subs in the settings.

Last edited:
Good old times with Floor Jansen! This stuff kicks ass. Better than (most of) Nightwish's latest album.

Not really Metal, but Rock / Alternative i really like Hayley Williams and shes down to earth as well

Really do like this performance

I remember back when I was a big Paramore fan (around the time Brand New Eyes came out). I haven't listened to them in a long time though; they kind of got replaced for me by Halestorm, a band with a harder sound (though still not Metal) and in my opinion a far stronger singer. If you haven't already (I have only skimmed the last couple of pages of this thread) then I'd heartily recommend giving them a listen. "Love Bites" is a very straightforward one to attempt first.

On the Extreme side of things -

Agoraphobic Nosebleed:

If you want extreme female-fronted music, you can do a lot better than ANb, who in any case did their best work when they had male vocals.

For starters, I would recommend all-female Japanese grindcore band Flagitious Idiosyncrasy in the Dilapidation. Their discographical highlight is their split 7" with Insect Warfare, issued with a 2008 edition of Short Fast and Loud zine.

Their vocalist is great live too:

Back