Meshuggah

Night Prowler

Customer Deathcycle Manager
Staff member
They played their first show since 2019.

Even if you don't like Meshuggah, you gotta admire the insane longevity of Jens Kidman (singer). He's 55 in this video, turning 56 next month. In a genre where singers blow out their voices before even turning 40 (looking at you, Mikael Akerfeldt), this is basically a miracle. I can't think of any singer his age doing growls who sounds as good as he does right now. Granted it's the first day of the tour, but still...

After two albums I listened a couple of times and felt like they were Obzen part 2 and 3 (only worst) Immutable turned out to be a monster of a record.

I still have a lot of Meshuggah territory uncharted, Opeth stole my attention as I was exploring and I never got around to finishing Meshuggah's discography.

Jens is a super awesome vocalist and I honestly can't imagine Meshuggah with someone else. I feel like he's underrated because people only look at Haake (can't blame them ;) ).

I still have a lot of Meshuggah territory uncharted, Opeth stole my attention as I was exploring and I never got around to finishing Meshuggah's discography.

Jens is a super awesome vocalist and I honestly can't imagine Meshuggah with someone else. I feel like he's underrated because people only look at Haake (can't blame them ;) ).
People only look at Haake? What about Fred? That guy's guitar playing is absolutely unique and almost single handed created a new subgenre.

All 5 are top-notch musicians but Haake has the biggest hype around him. Fred and Mårten are great guitarists but not exactly guitar heroes in the true sense of the word, hence why they aren't in the spotlight as much.

What makes both Haake and Fred so popular besides their incredible craftsmanship as musicians is their uniqueness (in that regard both have real unique signature playing styles. But was Fred that single handed created the Meshuggah sound (from Contradictions to Chaosphere he was by far the main composer) not to mention his fantastic solo album (Sol Niger Within) and awesome contributions with artists such as Gojira, Townsend or Scarve among others.
I'm not diminishing Haake by no way possible but IMO as superb (and unique) of a musician he is, he may not even be the best drummer Fred worked with (there's this guy called Morgan Agren). Once again that doesn't remove nothing from the awesome drmmer Haake is but saying people only look at Haake just isn't true when you have zillions of new kids basically playing the guitar style Thordendal created (and giving it one of the silliest names ever in djent :p ).
Nonetheless I truly loved Lovgren's and Hagstorm's composing on this record.

Back