1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mastodon

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

2. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

First impression is pretty good, I like the sounds & textures.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

I'm very excited for this. I might see them live in April, although I've heard mixed things about their live performances. I'm really getting into this band lately though. I checked out Leviathan and it was fantastic. I previously hadn't heard anything pre-Crack the Skye.

4. Mosh

I kind of consider Mastodon the Metal Radiohead.

5. jazz from hell

Brent...

Let's hope he's got his shit together musically and the June release is real.

6. jazz from hell

I'm sorry, I'll take that back. What Brent said about Emperor of Sand is actually true, so I think the other album is real too!

Anyways, making of Emperor, pt. 1;

7. Night Prowler

8. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

I dig Show Yourself. Sure, at first I had a wtf moment with those pop rock vocals, but it's very catchy and pretty fun. Unfortunately Sultan's Curse did nothing to me. It's a bland song IMO, sounds like a filler. Love the art direction of this album. Both the cover and the Show Yourself image look great.

9. Mosh

I'm ok with Show Yourself as long as there are no other songs like that. It wasn't very good but I can live with them trying different things.

10. jazz from hell

Simple, catchy but not cheesy, good groove, rocks. I like it (actually had a similar experience as Srogyy at first). Prefer the first one though and generally hope for more psychedelia.

Btw: 2 Mastodon albums this year?! Where's @harrisdevot?

harrisdevot likes this.
  11. jazz from hell

Just skimmed through a new interview with Brent on the Jamey Jasta Show podcast, which is 2 hours long. And Brent comes across as a bit of an idiot tbh. 'Beer and weed blah blah, Mushrooms and fucking DMT, burp, and Cocaine blah blah blah'. Almost nothing about music and no discussion about the new album at all it seems. Nothing much about *anything* really. I love Brent, but man...

JudasMyGuide likes this.
  12. Natalie

Natalie Insect of Terror Staff Member

You know, this kind of sums up my own experience with them too. It's been ages since I've listened to them though so I went back yesterday and today and had a listen to their recent albums/singles. Once More 'Round the Sun is certainly consistent and not bad, enjoyed The Hunter, and their new single Sultan's Curse is good too (not sure what to make of Show Yourself). It also prompted me to revisit their older stuff that I listened to back in the day.

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as good background metal but I'm starting to think that's where I'd place Mastodon. Gotta say though, their art style is very nice. It's the kind of thing that works well as tattoo's...maybe that's the idea?

13. Night Prowler

Best song so far, very CTS-ish :)

14. Natalie

Natalie Insect of Terror Staff Member

I listened to Andromeda and it definitely has a CTS vibe. I enjoyed the opening riff a lot, but somehow the song in its entirety falls a bit short of expectations. My favorite single from the new album is still Sultan's Curse.

15. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

I begin to really appreciate the album. My first impressions were really negative. I wasn't sure I wanted to listen to a record that was centrered on cancer, and I was quite shoked by Show Yoursel: they said a few years ago that they wouldn't go further than The Motherload on the pop path, and they did. But, actually, it's an OK song. Furthermore, there are some great instrumental passages, as always, and I like what Brent is trying with his voice on some songs. But this cover, really, no, I can't, my kids would do better.

16. Night Prowler

17. Mosh

Cool, I thought they scrapped it.

How's Empire of Sand holding up for everyone? Honestly I only listened to it a few times. It was pretty good but it didn't keep my interest. I'll give it another try when I'm more in a Mastodon mood. Part of my problem is that there are a few songs early on that are pretty offputting.

18. Deus_Adrian

Deus_Adrian Prince of the Final Frontier

Holding up well for me. I actually listened to Empire and the Hunter a lot lately. I like the approach they took on that album and think those two work well together. Curious to hear the new one and interesting they are calling this a Mastodon album since presumably it has only 3 members of the band on it.

19. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

Honestly, this is a kind of disapointment. Not a bad album, but definitely not as good as the previous ones. Many of the riffs are not that good, I dislike the way the singing almost always begins after a very short intro (Maiden bias I suppose :cool:), and, most of all, most of the vocal melodies are rather dumb. They seem to concentrate on choruses, and tend to be quite formulaic with a flashy chorus sung by Bran. Once in a while, this is fine, but not that often.
    I've never seen them live. They play Paris on november, but if the setlist is mainly based on the last album, I will hesitate to buy a ticket.

20. jazz from hell