1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mastodon

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by Night Prowler, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Srogyy

Srogyy Ancient Mariner

Hm, that's a very odd approach - a real twist on what a double album usually means. Reading just the headline I'd expect their return to complex stuff, but in this case I don't know what to think about it. Will definitely check this out. I really enjoyed the last one.

2. harrisdevot

harrisdevot Ancient Mariner

An album entirely written by Brent, another one he hasn't contributed to ? That worries me a bit. I hope he doesn't sing on all the first one's songs. After Once more's... release they said they had left five songs appart, which were as good as the others, and that they would eventually release them as an EP; I guess these are the first record. I was thinking of them recently and hoped they would continue along the same path as on The Hunter and Once more...

3. jazz from hell

jazz from hell Ancient Mariner

According to Brent, he wrote the whole Crack the Skye album... I love Crack The Skye but can't stand The Hunter, which, afaik, was mostly written by the other guys. So I'm looking forward to Brent's songs, although not sure whether he's still got it...
    Btw just read people criticizing Brent's vocals here, and while he can be a terrible singer live sometimes, he can also be great in terms of soul and feel. Better than Troy and Brann for sure.

4. harrisdevot

Wow. I didn't know that. He openly stated that ? My only concern with his voice is that it can really be nasal, almost caricatural. There are two songs on Crack... that I never listen to because of that.

5. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Brent > Brann > Troy when it comes to vocals IMO. But I don't think any of them can carry a whole album by themselves, so it's good that they combine.

Mosh likes this.
  6. harrisdevot

My favorite in terms of vacals is Troy, by far. Brann has a pop feel that can be nice on record, but he fails to deliver live.

7. jazz from hell

I don't remember exactly how the story went, but I think it's on the DVD of the special edition, where Brent talks about how when he came back to the band after having been sick for quite a while, the other guys presented him the music they'd written, and he said he couldn't do that stuff, being in the state he was. So they asked him what he got, he showed them the material he'd written on his acoustic while being sick, which eventually lent itself to Crack the Skye.
    He also pretty bluntly said "I wrote Crack The Skye" in at least 2 interviews during that time. Of course you knever know what to believe with Brent. The other guys surely made their conrtibutions as well, lyrically - Skye being Brann's sister -, and I believe it's also on the CtS-DVD where you can see Brann and Troy writing melodies for vocals with an acoustic guitar.
    Still, I think it's true that CtS is for the most part Brent's album.

JudasMyGuide and harrisdevot like this.
  8. harrisdevot

Thanks for the details.

9. jazz from hell

You're welcome.:)

10. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Mastodon keep getting better for me. Once More was easily my favorite.

11. harrisdevot

12. jazz from hell

What about Brent's stuff...??

13. harrisdevot

It looks as if they have worked on their own : Bill + Brann // Brent. It would be great if the result was a double album. Knowing now how they write, I'm surprised all the songs are credited to Mastodon as a band.

14. jazz from hell

Yea I hope you'e right! No talk of a double album anymore here, and Bill doesn't say a word about songs he isn't involved in.

15. harrisdevot

16. Night Prowler

jazz from hell and harrisdevot like this.
  17. Night Prowler

[​IMG]

1. “Sultan’s Curse”
    2. “Show Yourself”
    3. “Precious Stones”
    4. “Steambreather”
    5. “Roots Remain”
    6. “Word to the Wise”
    7. “Ancient Kingdom”
    8. “Clandestiny”
    9. “Andromeda”
    10. “Scorpion Breath”
    11. “Jaguar God”
    Out on March 31 :shred:

jazz from hell likes this.
  18. jazz from hell

Seems to be Bill's album. :-/

19. jazz from hell

But also: they're making music for yoga now. :okok:

20. harrisdevot

So, no double LP. I hope they release all the music they've written.