Maiden's war songs

What Maiden's war-related song is best (second best) ?

• Run To The Hills

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • These Colours Don't Run

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Trooper

Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Aces High

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • Tailgunner

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Run Silent Run Deep

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Afraid To Shoot Strangers

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • The Aftermath

• Fortunes Of War

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Blood On The World's Hands

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Como Estais Amigos

• Montsegur

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Paschendale

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • These Colours Don't Run

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • The Longest Day

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Mother Of Mercy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ben Beast

Educated Fool
LooseCannon said:
Luckily, there is an entire world of history and the like; take war, for instance. How many songs have they written about war?

Invaders
Run to the Hills
The Trooper
Aces High
Alexander the Great
Tailgunner
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
The Aftermath
Fortunes of War
Blood on the World's Hands
The Clansman
Como Estais Amigos
Montsegur
Paschendale
These Colours Don't Run
The Longest Day
Mother of Mercy

So Maiden songs related to war. Because the best war song ever is undoubtedly Paschenfuckingdale, you'll have 3 votes, to see what war-related Maiden song is second best. My votes go to Paschendale (duh), Aces High and The Longest Day. I wonder how good Mother Of Mercy is, since I'll be able to listen it on Monday, but you who have listen it may cast your vote for it.

Paschendale, The Longest Day and Afraid to Shoot Strangers.

Runners-up are Aces High/These Colours/The Clansman, followed by Invaders/Tailgunner/Alexander.

Aces High, The Trooper, Paschendale

I don't really consider Invaders to be about war, but more about Vikings invading and bringing about a very one-sided conflict.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Fortunes of War shares the no. 1 spot, with Paschendale behind

Abas said:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers and Fortunes of War shares the no. 1 spot, with Paschendale behind

I'll wait 'til tomorrow to listen to Mother Of Mercy, but my 3 choices are exactly these, in this order, if nothing changes after Monday.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Also, For The Greater Good Of God seems to be about war.
I'd say that's more about religion than war, altough it contains war elements, it's more of a Maiden's religion-song

Cap Maronis said:
I don't really consider Invaders to be about war, but more about Vikings invading and bringing about a very one-sided conflict.
Well it has armed conflict so it stays in the list.

TFF 01 said:
I voted for "Afraid To Shoot Strangers", but I didn't know that song was war related?   :innocent:

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is about Gulf War.

Best war song of Maiden is The Trooper imho. Aces High and Paschendale get my other votes. But I like Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Fortunes of War.

Alexander the Great isn't about war. It's about Alexander the Great  :D

maidenhead1996 said:
Alexander the Great isn't about war. It's about Alexander the Great  :D

I know that  :bigsmile: and that's why I didn't put it and Clansman on the poll list even if LC considered them a war themed songs

I feel that Clansman is a song where clansman tells us that is it shame that they have lost their land and they need to get it back no matter what. There isn't a battle, armed conflict described, but if you strongly insist I may add it to the poll list

hey, it's your topic. Just my opinion o'course, and I wouldn't change my vote anyway (if there were 5 choices that'd be different), but in general your list is spot on.

I can't believe Aces High didn't make my list. It's been a top 10 song for me pretty well since it came out.
Paschendale and Longest Day are the highlights of their respective albums and Colours has grown on me so much.

Aces High. A fantastic album opener, and about the Battle of Britain. What more can you ask for?

Paschendale and The Longest Day are both epic, shivers down my spine from both of them. Every time.

Quoth Adrian Smith Who Art Larger Than Thou, from the book of Pasch 4:03 ...

"Paschenfuckingdale, brothers and sisters! Say it with me now! Paschenfuckingdale! Can I get an Amen!"

Oh, and Afraid To Shoot Strangers and These Brits Can't Spell Colours Don't Run

Back