Maiden's philosophy in writing the songs

A

Anonymous

You know what I DON'T like about Seventh Son? No, not the music. That absolutely rocks! I'm talking about the concept of the album. Now, I don't have anything against bands recording concept albums, either. But it's the concept that they chose for the album. Every song on it is more or less about the seventh son having to choose between the "good" or the "evil" paths. Then ofcourse, he decides to go for the "good" one, and ends up losing the faith of his people, and finally in a quest to defend the "good", he's met to death. Everything is fine, except one: How does one so explicitly know which is the "good" path and which one is "evil"?

If you stop to think about it, a lot of maiden songs address the topic of "the good and the evil". "Revelations", "The evil that men do", "Seventh son of a seventh son", "Only the good die young", "The thin line between love and hate", and all the songs relating to satan or lucifer. What I've realized is maiden seem to address this philosophy in a very black-and-white way, except for "The thin line..", which is very later in their careers.

Now, religion, I've belived, is a way for people to impose predefined morals upon the society to keep them from turning against each-other. But it seems to do the exact opposite of that intent. Where I live, people are killing each other in the name of religion. And I'm sure it's not exclusive to my place. People are so busy defending what they belive in, that they've forgotten why they belived in it in the first place.

Steve has gone through a lot in his life. Especially in the recent year. This is also reflected in the way he has been writing his songs. He has had to borrow a lot less from religious texts and express more of his own feelings in the songs. The lyrics are no longer just literary ecxerpts renditioned to rhyming bits, but real personal emotions.

There's no arguing that Peace of Mind through Seventh Son are the golden years of Maiden as a band, but in terms of maturity and depth of thoughts, the band has only grown ever since.

Excellent topic and nicely written! I moved it to the relevant forum [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Dont forget that it's only music. They cant go in detail like in a novel or a movie. And I think they showed quite well that there can be good in evil and evil in good with The Evil That Men Do. You also forgot The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner where the «bad» mariner turns «good». So killing an albatross with no reason is bad and you'll probably end up in hell... if it exist. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

As for religion, there is absolutly no way to tell if god exist or not so someone who says that he is 100% sure that god does/doesn't exist is just upstart(not sure about that word) stupid. It's the same for the people who thinks that everything that's written in the bible is true..... That remind me of Big Fish(the movie) the storie may be true but the way it is told is complete fiction.

I agree with battlemaniacs, there is only so much they can cram into 8-9 minutes [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] However you were probing deeper into what is consider "good" and what is considered "evil". Many argue it's perspective or culture but there is a very simple answer: If it harms you or others it's "evil". That's why it's pretty much a universal consent that murder is flat out wrong. There is nothing worse than taking another person's life. Also be careful with using the word "Evil", save it for religious texts. Malicious is better suited. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
as for religion... we're only human and when we become pasionate about something, be it religion or music we tend to get violent. If only people read more and had an opportunity at a good education there would be less of such events.

All fair points. I understand the limitations of a songwriter, though not as clearly as them. Maiden have been doing a good job with their music all along. They have never cared about what people think, nor will they ever. But the band has been through a journey of 25 odd years, together and apart for a bit also. It's only fair to think that they would evolve as a whole.

Let's take their music for example. Iron Maiden is the best debut album of all times, but some of it's lyrics are juvenile and freakish. That apart, even the songs are shorter on an average and the guitars are, though well-synched and everything, tied down to a copy-book style. Cut to Seventh Son, you have the most amazing solos and riffs, you have intricate synth work, and subtle keyboard notes. Melodically, the whole journey from Moonchild to Only the good die young is a treat.

The concept on the other hand is a different story. As mystical a story as that of the seventh son is, it's still very surreal and mythical. Maiden were at a point where they were running out of ideas and motivations. This is evident by the fact that they took a break right after this album.

Cut to the new millenium. When they were at a point where things were looking down, the reunion hailed the advent of a new wave of enthusiasm and a fresh outlook altogether. There were compositions as Blood Brother and Face in the sand. Songs addressing things that are a part of a real person's life. Age of Innocence and The thin line.. all sound like a person talking to himself in his thoughts.

This is a great band in the making. No one is wise from their birth. You grow into things, and you get better at understanding life. You need the assurance of religion and god only so long as you don't have to deal with things yourself. Once you go beyond a predefined religion, everything you belive in becomes a religion.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]There were compositions as Blood Brother and Face in the sand. Songs addressing things that are a part of a real person's life. Age of Innocence and The thin line.. all sound like a person talking to himself in his thoughts. [/quote]

They have written «social» songs since No prayer with songs like Holy Smoke, Be Quick Or Be Dead, Blood On The World's Hands and Judgment Of Heaven so saying that they started doing these kind of songs with Brave New World is not true.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Iron Maiden is the best debut album of all times, but some of it's lyrics are juvenile and freakish. That apart, even the songs are shorter on an average and the guitars are, though well-synched and everything, tied down to a copy-book style. Cut to Seventh Son, you have the most amazing solos and riffs, you have intricate synth work, and subtle keyboard notes. Melodically, the whole journey from Moonchild to Only the good die young is a treat. [/quote]

Give him a chance, Harris must have been around 18 years old when he wrote most of those songs... [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--] and he didn't had the experience he has now to write songs about. Most of the songs from the seventh first albums are complete fiction. Then with NPftD, political(Holy Smoke) or personal(No Prayer, 2AM) songs made an apparition but stories are still present(The Assassin, Hooks In You, etc...).

I think you are getting the idea that I'm trying to condemn Maiden or Steve.. I'm not.I am just trying to analyse the process that Maiden's music has been through. But you are right in saying that BNW wasn't the first album that they produced songs on social topics in. I just meant that the songs have grown in terms of the meaning attatched to them.

Well, the maturation process you speak of is true, and the topics Harris and the bunch choose to write about has change somewhat through the years. But that's what i want to focus on for the moment. In the Early albums 95% of the writing was done by Harris, while Now Most of the songs are written by three members (Harris not always being one of them) or all of them. That is part of the "growing up" process, I think so anyway.

Back